Appointed to referee at own club.

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi Guys

Find that my Saturday appointment is my own club 2nds at home V local rival's. I have contacted appointments chap to confirm that he want's me to do this match.
Have done a good few youth Sunday games as a home side club referee with no issues but slightly wonder about senior merit table game.
Any advice about reffing your own senior's I have a good relationship with the senior's and don't have any doubt's about myself being neutral, however the rival's will know that I am from home club.

Duncanb

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Duncan

Depending on how well you know these guys, and the level and seriousness of the game, it may be impossible to stay as detached as you would like - especially if the home side are calling you Duncan or a nickname instead of Ref. You may also be subject to practical jokes - e.g. home side players perpetually joining the end of the stud check line after you've alredy checked their studs ...

If so, and if the Away side are aware of your link to the home club, it may be worth addressing the issue yourself - perhaps at the toss, making it plain to the Home skipper that you'll be acting as if it were any other game, and fronting up about the situation to the Away skipper. Once the game starts, I'm sure you'll just call what you see.

After the game, try to avoid the temptation to stick with the home players you know. They'll stick around longer than the Away team anyway, so chat to the Away side first, moving on to the Home team when Away drift off.

Enjoy! I always have fun reffing my own club: they think I'm far too card-happy. :eek:

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I agree with the cards
Rivals will be more senior guys who have certainly been round the block ( done them already this season) and a good mix of ex first team and club guys + colts.
Home club will be mostly colts/club men on paper should be a close match however games between these two are never nice.

duncanb