Ardie Savea citing

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I understand that Savea has been cited for this throat slitting action (see youtube time 2:00). Is it any different to the haka?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
When the All Blacks do it, is it considered threatening in any way? Possibly gives them an advantage in firing them up (and keeping them warmed up while their opponents cool down as they have to stand and watch the show) but hardly threatening behavior despite the symbolism?

Back to the Savea incident - seems a bit of a storm in a teacup. Everyone is fired up, and he gestures in the heat of the moment. Also, did the player it was directed at feel threatened? I know there have been cases in the US where people have pointed their finger at a person and mimicked firing a gun at them - far more realistic threat here - and that was rejected as a criminal threat.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Back to the Savea incident - seems a bit of a storm in a teacup. Everyone is fired up, and he gestures in the heat of the moment. Also, did the player it was directed at feel threatened? I know there have been cases in the US where people have pointed their finger at a person and mimicked firing a gun at them - far more realistic threat here - and that was rejected as a criminal threat.
I doubt anyone felt physically threatened. Maybe more about bringing the game into disrepute

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I doubt anyone felt physically threatened. Maybe more about bringing the game into disrepute
I think you’re right on that. Going back to the comparison to the haka and Savea’s Samoan heritage I’d assume there is a similar gesture in Siva Tau.

So if world rugby are happy for the All Blacks, Samoans, Tongans, and Fijians to entertain us with their haka, Siva Tau, Sipi Tau, and Cibi respectively then it seems a little churlish if they decide this is disrepute. (I think the Welsh RFU have done a much better job at that.) He’s apologized so I think they should just move on.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
is it any different to saying "Im gonna kill you" ? would saying that get a player cited?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think there's quite a bit of difference between the "play acting" of pregame war dances, compared to throat slitting when there is heat and physical and verbal confrontation had just occurred.

I'd hate to see the u10 kid use that action in the next game because they saw their hero Ardie do it...even more of a worry by teenagers. Kids/Teenager aren't so good at identifying an actual threat vs a bit of acting.

I'm a big fan of Ardie as he's a sensational and tough player and generally looks to be a wholesome guy with his actions with the kids/fans. But that was particularly unsavoury and disrespectful to an opponent - and something I'd expect to see in thugby league. Personally, I hope they make an example of it as not appropriate. I do think he bought the game into disrepute and should be held accountable. At least he owned it - and saying sorry is a start, but isnt really enough IMO.

I thought the fabric of our game was respect - I guess we will see where SANZAAR/WR are happy for the game to go with disrespectful behaviour.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
is it any different to saying "Im gonna kill you" ? would saying that get a player cited?
This.

That was my immediate reaction was that it didn;t reach the threshold of a red card, because I'm not in the habit of red carding people for saying things along those lines.

Have a chat with them? Absolutely. YC if the mood of the match needs it? Yup. RC? Incredibly unlikely.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10

I understand that Savea has been cited for this throat slitting action (see youtube time 2:00). Is it any different to the haka?
I thought that the Haka got rid of the throat slitting gesture a few years back? Precisely because it was considered inappropriate.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I thought that the Haka got rid of the throat slitting gesture a few years back? Precisely because it was considered inappropriate.
I believe you’re right; I remember that also.

I’d like to see some kind of reprimand. This is not at all a good look for the sport, in my opinion.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This.

That was my immediate reaction was that it didn;t reach the threshold of a red card, because I'm not in the habit of red carding people for saying things along those lines.

Have a chat with them? Absolutely. YC if the mood of the match needs it? Yup. RC? Incredibly unlikely.
Funny, isn't it? A player makes a derogatory (sexual, racial, etc) comment to an opponent and gets a RC, but if he makes a death threat, its maybe a YC.

But having said that, I would think a citing officer may have a greater duty to the overall perception of rugby, than an individual referee.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I’m comfortable with a citing without a red card. But I also would have been comfortable with a red card.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Deemed to warrant a Warning (is that only a SH Discipline option?); that makes a YC & a Warning in the same match, = RC & one week/match ban.