[Tackle] Arm protect

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I would say no, it's not allowed - arm padding of this type does not appear as one of the permitted "additional items" of clothing under Law 4.3 or under Reg 12.

In any case, why are you (or someone else) considering wearing such a thing? It might provide a bit of comfort against contact, but won't prevent any serious injury to the wearer; if it's being worn because of an existing or recently recovered injury then its only benefit is psychological.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
There's a healed broken arm involved. The thinking was to give a bit of padding to give a little bit of protection.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
4.3.a - [FONT=fs_blakeregular]Washable supports made of elasticated or compressible materials.

It looks elasticated and its padding is foam based so compressible. Not sure if it's washable as the description doesn't say.[/FONT]

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If a broken bone is still so freshly-healed that you're worried about bumps, there's no way at all you should be playing. It's bending loads that are the danger for nearly-healed bones, and you can't wear rigid supports, so if you're not at that stage you should sit out a couple more weeks.

Not a legal point, but a common sense one.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Assuming there are no rigid component,bi can't imagine making a player take that off

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Medical clearance has been given. it's just to give a little bit of an extra padding. I was thinking this too CR. Looking at it, it seems there are no rigid bracing supports. Just foam padding and elasticated cloth.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
4.3.a - [FONT=fs_blakeregular]Washable supports made of elasticated or compressible materials.

It looks elasticated and its padding is foam based so compressible. Not sure if it's washable as the description doesn't say.[/FONT]

There are definitions of how compressible - I think to less than 0.5cm.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It's not a support (4.3a), as the forearm isn't a joint.

It's not a bandage, dressing, thin tape, or similar material (4.3h) as it's padded.

I am struggling to see this as anything other than unauthorised padding.

The law is quite clear that it permits headgear and shoulder pads - and chest pads specifically for women. The only inference I can draw is that any other form of padding is not to be permitted - otherwise, why else would it list these specific items, and not just a generic "soft padded protection garments" under 4.3?

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If a broken bone is still so freshly-healed that you're worried about bumps, there's no way at all you should be playing. It's bending loads that are the danger for nearly-healed bones, and you can't wear rigid supports, so if you're not at that stage you should sit out a couple more weeks.

Not a legal point, but a common sense one.

Couldn't agree with this more. If the healing forearm truly needs a thin bit of padding, then said forearm isn't ready to go back out onto a rugby pitch.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I would say the need to wear padding is mor mental than physical. I don't think I'd stop a player wearing that

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
For padding in authorised areas (i.e. shoulders, shin pads) the reg is no more than 5mm when compressed and with no rigid elements. For any other padding (such as this) the reg is no more than 5mm uncompressed (there are also regs on density which are impractical for pitch-side/changing room assessment!).

Can't tell from the picture if this is definitely > 5mm but could easily be. Whether any given ref makes a deal of this or not may well be a roll of the dice.