Arriving Players' responsibilities ?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Got a complaint from a coach of a juniors match I reffed at this weekend.

Tackled player (red) and tackler(blue) gone to ground.
Blue tackler releases red ok.
The first arriving blue player (and in some cases, he arrived almost immediately ) stated jackling for the ball. Red player ( on the ground ) still had the ball in his hands and was trying to roll over to place the ball behind him. I pinged against red player for not releasing. Cue shouts from red coach - "They have to let him place , pass or release the ball !".
My view ( and I hope this forum can confirm it ) is that, so long as the arriving blue defender did not assist in the tackle then he doesn't have to let the tackled player place,pass or release and he can ( so long as he's on his feet of course ) go immediately for the ball as soon as the tackle is complete. Right ?
I explained my view point after the game.
I assumed his view-point was taken because of the speed at which the arriving player came in for the ball. He may have thought he was a tackler assist.

But was I Right ?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
You Was Right!

Coach Was Wrong!

Have it engraved on your headstone.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Man on his feet is King.
You were right.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
you wre right (caveat: the jacker must have arrived through gate)

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks People !
Phew !
Just curious but why is it always Dixie, crossref and Phil E who are prodigious responders ?
Impressive !

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hells bells you were right! Coach is another numpty from humpy-dumpy land.

Mind you...I've heard this from junior coaches downunder too. I've figured they've misinterpreted what 'must use his options' at the tackle to mean 'is given time to use an option', and that may have been caused by poor wording from referees too! I once had a ref tell my sons junior side 'you have to give him time to place it' when explaining what he wanted to see at the breakdown?

That was met from me with a "scuse me sir, can I have a quick quiet word with you?"
'Sorry mate...we don't need to give them time to do anything, we just need to release him first?'
Fortunately we agreed, and he conceded he used incorrect wording.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Slightly :eek:fftopic:

I did an U16 game yesterday (little buggers nearly ran me into the ground).

At one point two players chased a loose ball, first player dived on it and I waited to see what the next player did.
He stayed on his feet (good lad I thought) and tried to grab the ball but failed and then the first player got to his feet, at which point the second player grabbed him.

All good.

Then the first player started complaining "he's got to let me up".

At which 29 other players shouted "you are up!" :biggrin:

No intervention required.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Slightly :eek:fftopic:

I did an U16 game yesterday (little buggers nearly ran me into the ground).

At one point two players chased a loose ball, first player dived on it and I waited to see what the next player did.
He stayed on his feet (good lad I thought) and tried to grab the ball but failed and then the first player got to his feet, at which point the second player grabbed him.

All good.

Then the first player started complaining "he's got to let me up".

At which 29 other players shouted "you are up!" :biggrin:

No intervention required.

Concussion victim - doesn't know which way is up?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Got a complaint from a coach of a juniors match I reffed at this weekend.

Tackled player (red) and tackler(blue) gone to ground.
Blue tackler releases red ok.
The first arriving blue player (and in some cases, he arrived almost immediately ) stated jackling for the ball. Red player ( on the ground ) still had the ball in his hands and was trying to roll over to place the ball behind him. I pinged against red player for not releasing. Cue shouts from red coach - "They have to let him place , pass or release the ball !".
My view ( and I hope this forum can confirm it ) is that, so long as the arriving blue defender did not assist in the tackle then he doesn't have to let the tackled player place,pass or release and he can ( so long as he's on his feet of course ) go immediately for the ball as soon as the tackle is complete. Right ?
I explained my view point after the game.
I assumed his view-point was taken because of the speed at which the arriving player came in for the ball. He may have thought he was a tackler assist.

But was I Right ?

I think what happens is than when a TP is under no threat from any " on feet" player , then refs do tend to allow a little bit longer to adjust/place etc. However when Mr ON feet is exceedingly quick, then he should get the benefits of this skill.

The notion that ' too quick' disqualifies his "right to gain lawful possession" is dismissed........., if the coach wants a code without turnovers then .... Take the M1 signposted Norf !

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
CTPE - you were right, if a jackler is there on his feet and wants the ball, an immediate release is required by tackled player.