Article: RWC 2015 Referee - Nigel Owens

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Is this a new thing, not clapping the oppo? Ive not been involved in a game (40+ years) where it never happened, even in the most bad tempered of games!

didds

Same for me
Well, kids have to be taught at some point, so I have seen coaches having to prompt, but other than that

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Is this a new thing, not clapping the oppo? Ive not been involved in a game (40+ years) where it never happened, even in the most bad tempered of games!
Most of my games tend to be youngsters; U15 school games, Youth etc and after the match they usually go into a huddle for a chat from the coach, which may not be between the opposition and the changing rooms. If you politely remind them to clap the opposition, more often than not they will form a tunnel and then go back to their respective huddles.

The sad thing is that it rarely happens at international or televised games, so youngsters don't see it as a big thing.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Poor reflection of the coaches. Unforgivable arguably.

Our game - and modern coaching courses reflect this - is all about life skills as much as rugby skills.

I think top level does have players respecting each other, it just doesn;t happen as a tunnel and is "obvious" - you will "always" see players hugging and hand shaking etc after the final whistle generally. its just not an "obvious" thing I guess.

Our U15s played a local side yesterday. To a man the entire oppositon came and shook my hand. Some of them even called me "Sir" - I did jokingly reprimand them saying Im not a school teacher. nice touches al round - but then again, their club is one I hold in the highest regard anyway. (Other clubs in high regard are available and plentiful i hasten to add!)

didds
didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Most of my games tend to be youngsters; U15 school games, Youth etc and after the match they usually go into a huddle for a chat from the coach, which may not be between the opposition and the changing rooms. If you politely remind them to clap the opposition, more often than not they will form a tunnel and then go back to their respective huddles.

The sad thing is that it rarely happens at international or televised games, so youngsters don't see it as a big thing.

I think it happens , but isn't televised
At Harlequins there is always a tunnel , but you won't see it on the TV, they will be doing analysis , man of the match interview etc etc