Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
secondary question...

blue throw.

No numbers called etc.

Blue put two in + receiver and throw immediately.

red put 7 in plus hooker in the channel and a receiver.

Red however catch the ball and score.

Seems reasonable that blue took the risk and suffered for their cock up.

But...

red had no time to match numbers, but gained.

nobody is right, and nobody is wrong here. Its also easy to say manage it... but this admittedly chopperesque scenario will happen one day, somewhere, somewhen... becasue whatever as ref one decides, one side will feel aggrieved.

Covered in law. The other side must have time to adjust or no offence. see law 18.14.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
in real life - when was the liast time any gave a FK for numbers?

I can't honestly remember, it must have been ages

I'd see it here maybe once every 2 games. I've given it myself in the recent past. It's a common tactic by the throwing team to milk a FK.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Covered in law. The other side must have time to adjust or no offence. see law 18.14.

Can I suggest a quick rescan of that particular law?
Unless the throw is taken as soon as the lineout is formed, the non-throwing team may not have more players (but may have fewer players) in the lineout than the throwing team. Sanction: Free-kick.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Unless the throw is taken as soon as the lineout is formed, the non-throwing team may not have more players (but may have fewer players) in the lineout than the throwing team. Sanction: Free-kick.

Therefore: IF the throw is taken as soon as the lineout is formed, the non-throwing team may have more players
in the lineout than the throwing team.
Sanction: None

In the first case there is time for them to adjust in the second there is not.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have certainly come across the occasional team that will tell the ref "If we say 6 in that really means 5". A sensible ref could reply "I advise you not to lie to everyone in order to obtain a penalty.".

Wouldn't it fall under 9.7(c)? trying to get the MO to consider that the opposing team have infringed?