Assessment: Hampshire Exchange

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
MATCH TYPE Hampshire 2 League
LEVEL 10 DATE 26th January 2008

MATCH RESULT Millbrook (22 pts) -v- Nomads (3 pts)

1. CHALLENGE OF THE MATCH:

A dry pitch, soft underfoot with a light wind blowing up the pitch. These two mid-table Hampshire 2 clubs were committed and enthusiastic, but mostly bereft of any tactical awareness or consistent patterns of play. With their young fast backs Millbrook wanted to play at pace and with expansive ambitions, which materialised with four backs’ tries.
Both teams struggled for fitness as the match went on, and in some cases even a basic knowledge of some Laws was lacking.

Simon’s major challenge on the day was to keep the contact areas ‘clean’ and with careful management of offside lines allow space for whatever play there was to develop –he did the latter well, but allowed too much interference at the tackle and ruck transition phases. Overall his clear communication & assertive refereeing established a good framework for the match. However it is crucial to recognise escalating and repetitive problems (e..g post tackle / ruck offences), and take appropriate sanctions (three yellow cards could have been correct sanctions – one in each half to Nomads and one to the Millbrook prop for a 5m out [red zone] ‘defensive hands-in’).

Match Stats [Millbrook FH/SH Nomads FH/SH] PK 5/4 7/9; SC 4/7 7/10; LO 7/6 5/7

One critical incident occurred in the first half, with chased ball going into Nomads goal area. Simon made three correct decisions at once regarding chasing players and grounding of ball by defender first. Good positioning – well done.

2. MATCH MANAGEMENT:

Simon had good empathy with the players and used his communication skills to good effect. The players were in no doubt as to his decisions (even if they didn’t know on occasions the Law he was correctly applying). Both his verbals and signals were crisp and well timed, but I do advise less ‘excitement’ in tone of voice for his preventative calls (‘hands off’, ‘back foot’, etc) – be cool & calm but yet assertive, which is a better approach than escalating volumes and urgency.
Simon was at most contact and breakdown points, spotting the first offences in 70% of cases, but his fitness and speed was not good enough on too many occasions for even for this pretty low standard level 10 match.
He did play advantage well and allowed the correct time for play to develop for scrum and penalty advantages, before either allowing the advantage or returning to the offence.
A last minute altercation (which had been brewing for some time) was handled well and a red card for punching correctly awarded.

PLEASE ASSESS THE REFEREE’S MATCH MANAGEMENT USING THE CRITERIA: MD

3. THE REFEREE’S POTENTIAL:

Simon demonstrated that he was comfortable at this level, but needs to raise his fitness levels and change of pace before contemplating the challenges of higher levels. He has the management control, and clear decision making needed, but until he can consistently be at the breakdown in open play, he may miss key offences / decisions. His level of player empathy, clear management controls, and well balanced decision-making will hold him in good stead once he gets fit, and with a better off-the-mark speed needed for the higher levels that should come his way in the future.

4. KEY COMPONENTS

TACKLE
ADVANTAGE
RUCK
MAUL
KICKS
SCRUM
LINE-OUT

AREAS TO DEVELOP - Please select up to three of the above units to outline areas that need to be developed using the Key Components Descriptors.

Tackle / Ruck – Simon allowed too much latitude in the post-tackle and ruck transition at times. Some slow tackler roll away, tackled player holding on and players arriving & going to deck were evident on occasions, and correctly penalised, but yellow cards should have been used to eliminate this negative play. On other occasions Simon was not there early enough to see the first offence(s) and slow ball / uncompleted ruck occurred.
You must get to the contact earlier and establish the clear phases, waiting for each one to be complied with before moving to the next. 1. tackler release & away 2. tackled play the ball 3. arriving players on their feet and thru gate 4. ruck formed ‘hands off’ release.

Scrum – overall Simon managed the scrum well – CTPE, SH throw in, back foot and back row bindings were all good. He correctly penalised Nomads #3 for driving up. However he missed Nomads #3 and Millbrook #1 spending the last 20 minutes standing up at 45 degrees / driving under each other and changing their binds, when on his blind side.
Look across the FR backs – are they parallel to ground and with touchline – can you see anyone at an angle of drive, higher or bent back, etc ?If you cansee it, or suspect it then get round to that ‘blind side’ immediately SH has thrown ball in. Penalise as appropriate (defending side is often the culprit).

Ruck / Maul – Simon needs to get greater movement and flexibility of view with his ruck/maul positioning.
Once you have got compliance and the ball is won, get out much further away from the SH/FH pass and runners channels. This will open up your view and spot back foot offsides, players slipping up the side, and players in at the side. Keep on your toes and work both sides of the rucks/mauls throughout the match – do not get into a false comfort zone.

REFEREE’S STRENGTHS - Please select up to three of the above units to outline the referee’s strengths in this match, using the Key Components descriptors.

Offside Lines – Simon used good preventative verbals at tackle, ruck, maul, scrum and line out. This kept space open for some play to develop in an otherwise dour match. Where appropriate he penalised instead of warning.

Lineout – Simon established his clear requirements from the start and all components were managed well throughout the match.
Always ask your self why you do things – “why am I at the back if every throw has gone to the front jumpers so far ?”

Advantage – both scrum and penalty advantages offered and taken in some cases. When no advantage accrued, Simon promptly called play back to the original offence at the correct place.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, it was good to meet ST, finally I can put a face to at least one of the Hampshire names!

As for the match. I felt a little off the pace and a bit rusty, which is borne out in the assessment.

It was probably one of my worst assessments, but, having said that, I'm reasonably happy.

Scrum is still an issue, which is the area that I need to concentrate on and work on to develop.

T/R/M were poor yesterday - the ball was coming, but it was slow and scrappy, and I was slow getting there, which didn't help matters. From my point of view this isn't good, but as it's usually one of the areas picked up as a strength, I can hoepfully put this down to rustiness, and more worringly (match) fitness. We'll be able to see in a couple of weeks when I should be back in the groove.

Happy that the lineout went well. Often it's a negative for me and it just becomes a mess. So it was one area I wanted to get right and boss. Moved around a bit more than probably necessary though (was picked up), although the sun was shining in my eyes on the one side... :eek:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
although the sun was shining in my eyes on the one side... :eek:

'Always ask your self why you do things – “why am I at the back if every throw has gone to the front jumpers so far ?” '

If it's a problem, move.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I know Simon will not mind me expanding, as we did yesterday after the formal assessment session to a wider coaching discussion.

By moving to the back of the line out ,Simon missed a knock on by front attacker jumper, and then when the ball was passed by scrum half to defensive fly half in his 22m, he had turned his back with the kick and missed a late bent arm on fly half by attacking flanker.

If Simon had been at front he would have seen knock-on (played yet another excellent advantage - he is very good on Advantages) and on his curved run round would have seen late elbow on fly half too.

Hence the assessment comment.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
But presumably you not saying a referee should never be at the back?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Of course not OB - ref should adopt the position that is best suited to giving the widest view of both the LO and 10m offside lines, within the context of the match in front of him/her.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
ST, no problem at all with you expanding on anything.

By the way, I do have to confess that I uttered the most heinous of phrases... "Let him up" I also let a ruck turn into a maul... :eek:

Whatever the technical aspects, I need to first get back 'match fitness' and then, importantly, back to Navy and school fitness/speed (last time I did a timed 100m was about five years ago and I came in at 14 seconds).

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
I did sat 'about', as in closer to 5 than 10... Just working it out. I was injured in Y7 (broken elbow) and only did it one year (athletics became very informal after Y8), so I assune it was in Y8, so I would have been 13 myself (so about 7 years ago). Back then I was still only just out of the front row. I probably hit my peak at school in Lower Sixth-Form (so about 17), as I then buggered up my ankle big style, getting back just in time for my last season at the school.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Then I hope you are now 18! My U.13 team has a 2nd row who's timed at 13.5 secs.

That's really quick.

But amazingly would only put him =140th in the UK athletics rankings last year - I was expecting it to be much higher.

The other thing about speed at that age is that it's not necessarily a good predictor of speed in a few years' time.

I have seen/coached several 11/12 year olds who have fallen back rapidly over a couple of years.

My son was one - he ran 14.2 a month after his 10th birthday and was 15 before he ran that time again!!!

Scored some good tries, though :)