Attackers off their feet!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Watching Cardiff v Connaught last night and it seems that at that level attacking teams are allowed to launch themselves off there feet to clear out the tackle/ruck area without fear of being penalised and drag players out beyond the ball and keep hold of them, It was like that the whole game and legal defence has no chance.
One incident in particular a messy ruck/ tackle and ref tells Connaught hands off and the player duly complies and holds his hands up defenceless only to be hit by a flying Cardiff player coming In off his feet. Play continues but ref comes back to view the incident with TMO.
Initially it looked like a no arms hit but it wasn't so the ref says he used his arms nothing in that we will go back to the scrum where play stopped.
Cardiff player made no attempt to stay on his feet and didn't but that was just completely ignored.
Seems to be happening a lot at elite level

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
aaahhh...the days of marching a ruck down field....

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Were these players going off their feet "aeroplane landing" style or "aeroplane taking off" style?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
There was a lot of going off the feet by both sides along with not releasing at the tackle / not rolling away etc. How it took until the 78th minute for a YC (to Connacht) I will never know. The To3 were shocking. It was a dreadful game. Cardiff kept the ball for almost 10 minutes at the end until the card finaly gave them the space to score the try (and conversion) to give them a 1 point win.

The SH must be quaking in their boots at the quality of the Pro 12. NOT.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Watching it with my green tinted glasses on, it was frustrating to see Navidi in particular come in at the side and ruck way past the ruck area. They were constantly sealing off the ball, in injury time alone I counted 13 (green tinted) pens yet none given. How Hodges missed the knock on by Cuthbert and then him playing the ball on the ground , but spotted MCarthy coming in from the side ( from a ruck that no longer existed ) is beyond me .

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I think the Cardiff off the feet offences at the end were ignored on the basis of material effect. Connacht were not competing for the ball so there was not ME so play on. That seems to be how the elite referees play it.

Early doors there were a lot of offences the pother way with tcklers not releasing on particular. we were treated to the slow roll over the tackled player.

Apparently that is what the sponsors / TV etc want so game on OR game of in my house.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The defencive player leaving the ruck does not stop it existing of course.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
The ball was knocked on and out of the ruck. Cuthbert then plays it on the ground (pen) and the Connacht player is pinged for in at the side in what is open play.

CuthbertKnockOn.jpg

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Watching it with my green tinted glasses on, it was frustrating to see Navidi in particular come in at the side and ruck way past the ruck area. They were constantly sealing off the ball, in injury time alone I counted 13 (green tinted) pens yet none given. How Hodges missed the knock on by Cuthbert and then him playing the ball on the ground , but spotted MCarthy coming in from the side ( from a ruck that no longer existed ) is beyond me .

Anyone up for a game of "keeping the PK count low" :shrug: