Aus v SA Handbags at dawn or more?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Apologies for the music accompanying this clip but I cant believe that Eben Eztebeth and Allan Alaalatoa did not receive a yellow card for their little session! There was probably a case for others to be carded who flew in and got involved with only the SA winger getting a yellow for the initial taunting. Very poor from the officials and TMO and not a good advert for the game. At my level 4 yellows at least!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agreed; the prolonged goading by Green 4 warranted a 10 minute cooling off. If gold had reacted it could easily have been two reds.

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Sky NZ's the breakdown show mentioned both having a beer together after game.

Found this:

Doesn't add to discussion of infringements, but great to see Rugby values displayed.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
He's just passionate about the game!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I was watching in the pub with a referee mate, with no sound.

We btoh thought that EE and 7As were the ones getting binned. I even said "No need to lecture him like that, he knows why he's going". Cue confusion when Mapimpi disappeared.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was watching in the pub with a referee mate, with no sound.

We btoh thought that EE and 7As were the ones getting binned. I even said "No need to lecture him like that, he knows why he's going". Cue confusion when Mapimpi disappeared.
So many SA armchair referees demanding AA get a red for an eye gouge while conveniently ignoring the lead up and EE showing all the aggression and an open handed rake at the face (at 27 seconds) in that video. Got to start wondering when almost a whole country complain about the ref when they win and when they lose - maybe it's not all the referees but the colour of the glasses.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
So many SA armchair referees demanding AA get a red for an eye gouge while conveniently ignoring the lead up and EE showing all the aggression and an open handed rake at the face (at 27 seconds) in that video. Got to start wondering when almost a whole country complain about the ref when they win and when they lose - maybe it's not all the referees but the colour of the glasses.
Be fair, with the way his eyes were bulging, just wafting your hands in front of his face could lead to a credible citing for gouging!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Have a look at 3:38 youtube time. This is the event that led to Green #11 being binned. If there hadn't been a melee would the ref have even considered the "taunt" a binnable offence? Is it reasonable to bin a player because other players decide to throw hands? Or was it a case of someone's going to the bin so it may as well be him? Poor refereeing IMO.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Have a look at 3:38 youtube time. This is the event that led to Green #11 being binned. If there hadn't been a melee would the ref have even considered the "taunt" a binnable offence?
And we are back to faf and face slaps ...

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
How many players did NOT deserve at least Yellow in that appalling incident?!!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How many players did NOT deserve at least Yellow in that appalling incident?!!
I would have thought EE more deserving of a sit down than G11. Charges over from a long way to join in and then carries on like he's in a 'roid rage. I can see why the ref picked G11 for instigating it, but don't think his behaviour was the worst from either team.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I can see why the ref picked G11 for instigating it, but don't think his behaviour was the worst from either team.
that's my issue. A sanction (PK, YC or RC) should be made on the merits of the offence, not on what may or may not happen afterwards that is outside the player's control. So simply, was Green #11's actions immediately after he scored the try, worthy of a YC? If it happened in my game, I'd likely have a word with him not to be a prat, then get on with it.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why no penalty try at the end?

Try was scored but kick was missed. Arguably ,Yellow only got part of the value, they would have been closer to the post and the kick would have been easier.

He gave a yellow card for Green 15 so he was happy that the offence was there so like many decisions it just didn't add up.

7 advantages on the trot when SA were under pressure and all for nought when a it was deemed foul play at a ruck!

Bizarre decisions!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Try was scored but kick was missed. Arguably ,Yellow only got part of the value, they would have been closer to the post and the kick would have been easier.

He gave a yellow card for Green 15 so he was happy that the offence was there so like many decisions it just didn't add up.

7 advantages on the trot when SA were under pressure and all for nought when a it was deemed foul play at a ruck!

Bizarre decisions!
Not sure how bizarre the decisions were ...but unless I'm misunderstanding you some of your comments are bizarre!

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Bizarre decisions!
What offence did you see that would lead to a PT? The YC sanction was against the try scrorer not the would be tackler.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What offence did you see that would lead to a PT? The YC sanction was against the try scrorer not the would be tackler.
Did you watch the video above?

The ruckus after the SA try was about 71 mins and as discussed above should have seen a few more going to the bin.

About 78:17 game time and 4:21 on the UTube video. Deliberate KO by Green 15, ball recovered and try scored out wide. A more advantageous position to score was very likely so PT and Yellow card for Green 15?
Not sure how bizarre the decisions were ...but unless I'm misunderstanding you some of your comments are bizarre!

55 Mins game clock, TMO calls in foul play. Yellow 3 dangerous clean out, no real issues with that. However immediately before green were on a warning, 7 advantages in the green 22 that he allowed to accumulate without managing the persistent and deliberate infringements. Allowing SA to kill the game, throughout the game. Lots of negative play and niggle that was all foreseeable after last weeks game should have been managed.

Aus skipper recognised that they were not able to fire a shot but when you play against such unchallenged cynicism it's no wonder.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Did you watch the video above?

The ruckus after the SA try was about 71 mins and as discussed above should have seen a few more going to the bin.

About 78:17 game time and 4:21 on the UTube video. Deliberate KO by Green 15, ball recovered and try scored out wide. A more advantageous position to score was very likely so PT and Yellow card for Green 15?

55 Mins game clock, TMO calls in foul play. Yellow 3 dangerous clean out, no real issues with that. However immediately before green were on a warning, 7 advantages in the green 22 that he allowed to accumulate without managing the persistent and deliberate infringements. Allowing SA to kill the game, throughout the game. Lots of negative play and niggle that was all foreseeable after last weeks game should have been managed.

Aus skipper recognised that they were not able to fire a shot but when you play against such unchallenged cynicism it's no wonder.
Impossible to tell from that clip if a try was probable without the knock on. It’s interesting that in circumstances like this, with a YC offence where advantage is played, if the team scores we often don’t return for the YC, and would rarely consider a PT although i understand your point that it would be more advantageous.

I think in most cases you cannot be certain a try would have been scored otherwise you probably wouldn’t call advantage in the first place.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Impossible to tell from that clip if a try was probable without the knock on. It’s interesting that in circumstances like this, with a YC offence where advantage is played, if the team scores we often don’t return for the YC, and would rarely consider a PT although i understand your point that it would be more advantageous.

I think in most cases you cannot be certain a try would have been scored otherwise you probably wouldn’t call advantage in the first place.
The try was definitely on. My immediate reaction on seeing the knock on was to tell the ref sitting next to me "That's yellow", and he agreed. A PT was certainly close enough to have warranted a look.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Doesn't have to be a certain try scoring opportunity, just probable. League has the caveat that a PT is only awarded if a certain try was prevented which I think is too onerous as people argue that a player steaming in from 5m out with the ball wrapped up tight might spontaneously drop it, which is unlikely.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It’s interesting that in circumstances like this, with a YC offence where advantage is played, if the team scores we often don’t return for the YC,
yes, its an odd feature of our game. Any soccer refs on here? What would happen if a defender hand-balled in the penalty area but the attacking team scored anyway. YC?