Aus v Wal

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At 31:54: is Genia (in soccer parlance) backing into the Welsh chaser?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
yes and it was penalised, was it not?

No; it was an offence at the subsequent ruck that was penalised.

And then at 44:47 Davies returns the favour.

Moving on - note that Francis comes on and suddenly the scrum starts going down with the Aus LHP angling in...

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Was that good Aus defence or predictable Wal attack?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Was that good Aus defence or predictable Wal attack?

A little from Column A and a little from Column B.
When the Wallabies were down to 13 and defending grimly inside their own 22, every time Wales came back inside instead of going wide, I couldn't help but give a little quiet cheer. Just kept waiting for Wales to go wide and then switch and come wide again.
Have to admit that when McMahon was substituted as Pocock was injured and getting attention and with Hooper warming a seat in the stands, I thought we were buggered.
Wales (11 straight losses to the Wallabies) must be wondering when that next win will come.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Stirring defence from Australia - no question - but the ineptitude from Wales was something to behold. The best way to negate a 2 man advantage is to keep the play close to the ruck so that being a man down doesn't really matter. And then when finally Wales get a bit of heave on at a scrum towards the line, the halfback pulls the ball out of the scrum and goes for a dab on the blindside. Total incompetence.

Aussies favourites for the cup now.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Stirring defence from Australia - no question - but the ineptitude from Wales was something to behold. The best way to negate a 2 man advantage is to keep the play close to the ruck so that being a man down doesn't really matter. And then when finally Wales get a bit of heave on at a scrum towards the line, the halfback pulls the ball out of the scrum and goes for a dab on the blindside. Total incompetence.

Don't know about that damo. Happy to be the underdog.
Injury list will have a bearing on the betting

galumay

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

No way! You guys are still favourites, there is no other team that could hold out a tier 1 team for nearly 10 minutes, 2 men down. The difference is, I suspect you guys could do it to us!

Pocock might be in a spot of bother with the citing officer

Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
No way! You guys are still favourites, there is no other team that could hold out a tier 1 team for nearly 10 minutes, 2 men down. The difference is, I suspect you guys could do it to us!

Pocock might be in a spot of bother with the citing officer,

You don't fool me. Only a choke will keep you from the title now.

That link appears broken.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Video working now.

6 week ban, but happy to give him 3 weeks off for good behaviour and an early guilty plea.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Wales were clueless in attack. Australia did what was needed and look the best side in the tournament. The ABs need to sort out their uncharacteristic errors.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wales reminded me of England in the Eng/Wales game. They choked at the cricial time, failing to nail the game when they had the opportunity

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I don't think Wales choked. They are just not creative enough against the best sides.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pegleg:305052 said:
I don't think Wales choked. They are just not creative enough against the best sides.

*against the best sides* . Yes I think that's kind of what I meant. They are better than that. They couldn't nail Australia because, well, it's Australia.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've just watched the replay.

That is 80 minutes of my life I would like to have back.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The point is that Wales are far off the best. Little creative thought. That's not choaking it the game plan. Gatlandball is simple at easy to read. It's ok against the northern sides but for the well drilled top sides it is very easy to defend against. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've just watched the replay.

That is 80 minutes of my life I would like to have back.

You should have read the thread before pressing "Play".

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I thin k you are confusing creativity with smarts. You have the opposition under huge pressure, down to 13 men and with the scrum backpedalling and your scrumhalf picks the ball out of the base? Doh?

You manipulate the deference just enough a a crash ball runner into a half gap and do you send in there? Your huge midfielders? Nope The massive frame of Dan Biggar.

After all of those repelled attempts you get them back into a position where the ref is losing patience and put in a half hearted lineout drive with a telegraphed pass to the centre of the field. Surely that was the time for an all in shove? It was either going to result in a further YC or a try IMO.

No they aren't creative but it wasn't the lack of creativity that stopped them scoring against the Oz defence it was a lack of clam thinking.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Not confusing anything thanks. I've watch a lot of Welsh "attacking play" over the Gatland years and the players don't play heads up rugby they play formula rugby. The big boys lap it up. It's Stupid rugby, lacking creative thought patterns. They do as they are told begore the game. They are not allowed to think.

Wales Plan is:

Plan A.

If Plan A does not work

Try plan A

Repeat until you score or fail again.