Aus vs France

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Apart from the Wallabies neglecting to turn up for a good part of the match and not deserving to win, I'm fairly unimpressed with the officials for this match.

Allowing the use of the home unions national flag (complete with sh**ty plastic shafts) as the AR flag is a very very poor look. The french (and english) media would go ballistic if the Wallaby, Silver fern or either of the national flags were used in either Aus or NZ. Should be completely neutral.

When NO wanted to have a look at a ruck entry where at first look the Blue player could have been in trouble, the replay was shown once then continued with other replays of other events. An independant TV official and feed must be provided and if a ref is asking for a replay, whatever the ground controller wants to show must be overridden. Following some other poor use of replays in other internationals lately, surely the IRB need to develop and enforce a policy on this.

The last minute was an absolute farce. Time is off for the scrum, then NO says time is OFF and the clock restarts, wasting 45 seconds while they play toss with the ball, leaving 15 secs out of 60. I think something similar happened in the 61st minute with time off and then it ran forward for 10 secs quickly then kept counting with time off

A couple of calls that had me puzzled were:
66th - FK against Gold for LO delay - being a bit of a jobsworth really
70th - Skelton gets in a bad position during a LO, but with the Lifters putting a player over the opposition's head, surely it is their responsibility to ensure that the player is brought to ground safely?
73rd - does NO call time off for the YC on the Blue line or just lets time run? I always call time off for the actual issuing of a card.

I don't think NO looked quite as flat and in poor form as last week, but he didn't look that comfortable.

Lets be fair, the Wallabies played like crap for a good part of the match and the French deserved the win.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And had a love (just plutonic) and hate relationship with NOs refereeing in the match.

Early on I loved that he was PK France in attcke for what was clearly off their feet sealing and killing the contest. Big tick. But he only enforced it in the 1st qtr then gave up trying to change behaviour.

Then he got marginal with a few of his calls for mine, specially jackler not holding his weight and then offside.
This was a clanger for me late in the game. In this picture the ball was well off the deck and SH takes a step and just about to be passed. The next frame after this NO calls Aus offside?
Hooper rushes up but still a bad call. France get an easy 3 pts for it.
View attachment 3076

Damn it...no matter how much I try it keeps posting the image upside down?

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm interested in thoughts on these next 2 frames.

To me Blue 6 (0r 8) enters the tackle zone not even close to 'through the gate'. I'm not sure how NO missed that. But ok, assuming he was marginal and through the gate, was the 2 blue players legal, being that far in front of the ball, to take out the gold player before he's even touched the blue BC on the ground? Would this be a ruck forming? (I say no, as BC has not put ball on ground. Therefore tackled, Ashley-cooper could have played at the ball when it was laid back.)

View attachment 3078
View attachment 3079

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
menace. Is there a reason why you posted these photos upside down?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hell no...though it adds to the challenge...no other reason than on my iPad they're fine, but soon as I load them to this site they flip upside down?:shrug:

That's why in my first post I said.

"Damn it...no matter how much I try it keeps posting the image upside down"

I'll try it again and trick it.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm interested in thoughts on these next 2 frames.

To me Blue 6 (0r 8) enters the tackle zone not even close to 'through the gate'. I'm not sure how NO missed that. But ok, assuming he was marginal and through the gate, was the 2 blue players legal, being that far in front of the ball, to take out the gold player before he's even touched the blue BC on the ground? Would this be a ruck forming? (I say no, as BC has not put ball on ground. Therefore tackled, Ashley-cooper could have played at the ball when it was laid back.)
Take 2 on the images?
View attachment 3083
View attachment 3084

Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well the entry from 8 is at least a bit suspect..

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I was gnashing teeth at this one when it happened. There was a lot of offside in this game but I was watching with my Wallabies glasses on. I need to watch a replay to see if it was the same when France had possession.

You've another pair? :confused:. ....:biggrin:

Seriously though, isn't rucking "ahead of the ball" common nowadays in "fast-is-the-hollygrail-showbiz" ?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
You've another pair? :confused:. ....:biggrin:

Seriously though, isn't rucking "ahead of the ball" common nowadays in "fast-is-the-hollygrail-showbiz" ?

Indeed, tolerated at elite level everywhere. Can't pick and choose.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Allowing the use of the home unions national flag (complete with sh**ty plastic shafts) as the AR flag is a very very poor look. The french (and english) media would go ballistic if the Wallaby, Silver fern or either of the national flags were used in either Aus or NZ. Should be completely neutral.
Yes, using the ARs to show some sort of national patriotism for TV is just taking the p!ss out of the officials. They looked like the standard flags they would have gave away to the crowd? Which makes me wonder if the IRB kit got lost in transit or the appointed official who brings the kit with them left it at home so they had a last minute rush looking for any matching flags and that's all they could come up with that didn't have non-sanctioned logos?