Australian trial - non contested throws and straightness.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
But like anything you'll also need to consider why a team was not contesting (did they stop contesting because the first 3 egregious crooked throws were not pulled up).
and now possibly because they realise its a 1/3 chance their jump will even be in with a shout of being any use wrt squint throws (CF Simon's post above) so they are exposing themselves doubly by even bothering.

As I said its more hypothetical than anything - but it struck me a s a trial that MAY end up in full laws that it really needs far more guidance/clarity over what constitutes a "contest", hence i was intrigued what you guys thought.
Personally I think its a non starter. Its yet one more thing for a ref to think about and consider - and the edge/fringe cases just create a headache for you. Is that jump at ~#2.75 a contest for the ball thrown to ~#4.25 or not ?

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You can see this ending up in law by looking at the state of squint throws at the top level.

I wonder if it will be followed by a similar trial on squint throws at the scrum? Or am I being cynical?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
You can see this ending up in law by looking at the state of squint throws at the top level.

I wonder if it will be followed by a similar trial on squint throws at the scrum? Or am I being cynical?
I really hope this doesn't happen.
You are correct Phil, Squint throws at the top level are a joke.
I know refs who say in their pre match brief that if you don't contest and it's not quite straight, we are playing on.
Not a fan of this. And will never say it.
If I was playing I'd just throw it straight to No 1 every time and secure possession. how could a ref decide if it was contested?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If I was playing I'd just throw it straight to No 1 every time and secure possession. how could a ref decide if it was contested?
I suppose _I_ would say that secures possession but it doesn't give you ,much of an attacking platform.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I might be misremembering, but there was more than one given this weekend, and the usual culprit, Fainga'a, wasn't on the field that long!