BaaBaa's vs Fiji

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
92 views and no replies! I guess nobody knows why we had black and white versus black and white - I doubt the paying public could work it out either.

Wonder if the referee could have insisted on a change or whether at that level all these decisions are already made and are final. I would of sent them to the Twickenham shop for 23 England away shirts!

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'm pretty sure Fiji's change strip is black which wouldn't have been much help

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No idea about the game, but a poster from your link suggested 'Only a guess, but since the game was to celebrate Fiji's rugby centenary, they would have wanted to play in their traditional colours. And the Baa Baas don't exactly have an alternative strip do they. Hence the kit clash.'

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The BaaBaas kits "clashed" with Swansea's for many years on Easter tours it was never a problem why is it now?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought it was a problem (but sometimes it can be clearer in real-life than it is on the TV). I wonder how much notice the referee gets of kit plans in a game like that, or whether he is presented with it as a fait-accompli on the day.

At grass roots if I encountered that it would be 45 mins before the game, as they warm up. I am sure I'd be askeing the home team if they could find a spare set of shirts in the clubhouse. In extremis, though, I guess I'd kick off rather than abandon the game.

You'd have to say though - don't blame me if I make some odd calls during the game.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The BaaBaas kits "clashed" with Swansea's for many years on Easter tours it was never a problem why is it now?

Barbarians v Cardiff on a black and white TV was no picnic either.

I remember Ireland v Wales in 5N was a pain in the arse in black and white - I had to look for Mike Gibson's comb over/shredded wheat hairstyle to spot the difference. JPR with his socks down also helped. I assume Wales used to wear black shorts on occasions to aid the "viewing experience" in black and white.

Luckily my mam and dad got a colour telly in about 1973 just in time for some of the teams to boycott going to Ireland.:biggrin:

"We may not be any good but at least we turn up"

Hi-jack ends!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
At the ground no issue and today who has a B& W TV?

Swansea (All White) BBs Black and white hoops. No issue at all.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Saturday, i requested that a side change when we had Black & White hoops v Black & White qtrs. Why make a problem for yourself?

When i got the confirmation call from the home club i raised a concern, he said, "ah we won't bother with that, it's christmas :wow: "

WHen i got to the match i requested there was a change and the home club did, no issues and they had the choice to insist the away side changed but chose not to do it :shrug:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hello,
In rugby Union, conventionally the grass-roots home team has to change it's kit ; since the home team are more likely to have access to a second set of jerseys. At International level, seems it's the away team that changes £££ galore ; example -England forgo their traditional white strip for an all-Black away kit. Provocation, or what?

I guess Fidji are strapped for cash and Baabaa folks were understanding of this.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hello,
In rugby Union, conventionally the grass-roots home team has to change it's kit ; since the home team are more likely to have access to a second set of jerseys. At International level, seems it's the away team that changes £££ galore ; example -England forgo their traditional white strip for an all-Black away kit. Provocation, or what?

I guess Fidji are strapped for cash and Baabaa folks were understanding of this.
Below international level, the rationale is mainly about sponsorship. It is common for a sponsor to provide a club with a set of shirts with their logo on them - but perhaps not two sets. They therefore want the advertising value of the logo for home games.

I like the idea of the home side offering their alternative strip to the away side (at the cost of extra laundry maybe). In practice, at the bottom end it is still the away side that uses their change kit, provided the clubs have spoken beforehand.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hello,

"Revenues from the kit sales will be ploughed back into the grassroots of the game as part of the Rugby Football Union's £20m-plus investment in the sport each year."

Classic PR con, not "ploughed into elite rugby's coffers then".

Seriously though, I wouldn't be seen dead in a black leisure shirt that has a rose on it ! .... crikey, we'll be wearing Red & be sponsored by Thistle or Paddypower next .....

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I like the idea of the home side offering their alternative strip to the away side (at the cost of extra laundry maybe).

Sorry lads, our washer woman is off sick, we can only find these ..... yes I know they are 30 years old, hold 4.5 litres of water each, and are on average 9 sizes too big per player, but the advantage is that we'll find it much easier to tackle you........ enjoy the match lads, I'm off to join the sponsors ... hic