Back heeled conversion

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
no, because a conversion has to be a kick
When a try is scored, it gives that team the right to attempt a conversion, which may be a place-kick or drop-kick.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
no, because a conversion has to be a kick
When a try is scored, it gives that team the right to attempt a conversion, which may be a place-kick or drop-kick.
but, you know, baa baas :)

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought the heel is or was specifically mentioned along with the knee as not being 'valid' for use for a kick!

Edit....Definition of a kick seems to preclude the use of the heel.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Law 8
4 For any goal to be successful, the ball must be kicked over the crossbar and
between the goal posts without first touching a team-mate or the ground.
7 When a try is scored, it gives that team the right to attempt a conversion, which
may be a place-kick or drop-kick.

Definitions
Kick: An act made by intentionally hitting the ball with any part of the leg or foot,
except the heel, from the toe to the knee but not including the knee. A kick must
move the ball a visible distance out of the hand, or along the ground.

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
in reality --- the only type of game where a back-heeled conversion would even be attempted is going to be exactly the sort of game where you'd turn a blind eye !
Very true and it did make for great entertainment. I thoroughly enjoyed the second half where the Baa Baas started playing like, well, Baa Baas.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mark Ring used to do it quite often.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
wrt Mark Ring - didn't he get dropped, or leave a club because of it?

EDIT: ah yes - had to apologise to London welsh!

Correct. Both the club and his father were quite angry with him.
I wonder if it wasn't specifically against the Law at that time?
I believe it was but it needed a clarification to get folk to read the laws properly. Mark clains in the article that his parents had to leave. That is bull! His parents were fuming at the lack of respect he showed to London Welsh. It was the only time I saw him do it but the story is that he did it on other occasions.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I believe it was but it needed a clarification to get folk to read the laws properly. Mark clains in the article that his parents had to leave. That is bull! His parents were fuming at the lack of respect he showed to London Welsh. It was the only time I saw him do it but the story is that he did it on other occasions.
I have some sympathy the Dad -- on occasions I've had teams that are 50 or 60 points ahead, starting to arse about with conversions - getting props to take them left footed etc -- and it doesn't help the atmosphere of the game, just creates ill-feeling and niggle.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
so here we go - Clive Woodward sums it up beautifully

I was disappointed with George Kruis for allowing it to happen, especially his antics around his backheel conversion. I cannot imagine Phil Bennett laughing at that.
  • England should have taken the law into their own hands after some of the antics
  • Can you imagine South Africa letting the Barbarians take the mickey like that?
Can you imagine New Zealand or South Africa letting a Barbarians team come to Auckland or Pretoria and take the mickey?

But does anybody at the RFU really care — or more importantly, understand the relevance — or was this just another game, another day out, a chance to boost the finances

Now, I wouldn't condone taking law into own hands - but a lot of teams with pride would not have put up with that.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
To be transparent, I've not seen the game yet, but a couple of thoughts from reading this thread... this kind of behaviour (e.g. props taking conversions left footed, back heels) is common in tour matches at grass roots, where everyone is having some fun... is Barbarians the equivalent? Should it be equivalent or should it be a higher level of presentation considering it is international level with a global audience?

England should have taken the law into their own hands... I don't condone foul play here, but a word from the England captain to the ref would have been appropriate... was there a lack of seniors players in the team (due to Prem final) and therefore no one thought to raise the issue?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
To be transparent, I've not seen the game yet, but a couple of thoughts from reading this thread... this kind of behaviour (e.g. props taking conversions left footed, back heels) is common in tour matches at grass roots, where everyone is having some fun... is Barbarians the equivalent? Should it be equivalent or should it be a higher level of presentation considering it is international level with a global audience?

England should have taken the law into their own hands... I don't condone foul play here, but a word from the England captain to the ref would have been appropriate... was there a lack of seniors players in the team (due to Prem final) and therefore no one thought to raise the issue?
There are tour matches and tour matches
Mess about from the start, and quite possibly lose the game because of it, fine
Get to 50 points up and then start .. not so good

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
As a prop that took a conversion or two in my time, always however in tour/presidents matches etc it would be a shame if props etc could never ever take them (not back heeled), simply because they aren't "normal" kickers.

maybe the point here is is not so much props/2nd rows taking them, but the "seriousness" of them being taken - eg no laughing and woots of joy etc - just kick and get on with it.

Especially if it meant that a outside centre taking one wouldn't be queried - where the OC never ever ever kicks either normally

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Indeed.
Which category would you put the barbarians in ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

Gareth Davies refers to Ring's...quirks in his autobiography