Ball carriers ducking into tackles

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10

Ben Smith discusses a lot of things in this article related to head injuries but something that’s been on my mind that he mentions is how the game allows ball carriers to duck into contact and lead with the head. It seems difficult to outlaw in an objective way that would be enforceable, but I agree it is clearly unsafe and ball carriers should hold some responsibility.

Thoughts? Do you ageee?

What would a law look like that regulated ball carrier body position?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
this from 2003, I favor it to any regulated body position. allowing subjectivity as a basis of law is a flawed sustainability

(f) Playing an opponent without the ball. Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player must not hold, or push, or charge into, or obstruct an opponent not carrying the ball. Penalty: Penalty Kick

the shoulder charge was an accepted practice and has morphed into the ball carrier being permitted shoulder charge or head duck into contact whilst no one else is permitted to do so in open play

the number of concussions and placing $ over players safety may well end the game. as you may know as a fellow yank, our beloved gridiron is losing players do to concussion fears

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
rugby would also have to examine when these head ducks occur most frequently, that is if rugby wants to put players safety as a priority

the following ideas may also help

1. make field wider
2. eliminate 6,7,8
3. make offside lines closer at scrum and lineout
4. only player tapping ball at pk may charge with ball
5. play in barefeet
6. make ball heavier or larger
7. give the ensuing scrum after a ruck to defender for put in