Ball dead after hitting tree?

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ball kicked out and hits tree. Player grabs ball and takes a QT. No lineout formed.

Was the ball dead when it hit the tree and therefore no QT allowed?

I let them play on, then teammate of QT-er told me it had hit a tree and was therefore dead.

Thoughts?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Ball is dead when it goes into touch. All Quick Throws are by definition taken with a dead ball.

So talking about a "dead ball" in this way is simply nonsense.

19.2.(d) For a quick throw-in, the player must use the ball that went into touch. A quick throw-in is not permitted if another person has touched the ball apart from the player throwing it in and an opponent who carried it into touch. The same team throws into the lineout.

A tree is not a person.

No problem with the QT - your informant was just wrong, and talking rubbish.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is what we teach at the TJ/AR course.

The QT is denied if the ball hits an object that won't/may not be in the same exact spot next time it happens.
i.e. dog, bike, person, pushchair, etc.

If it hits something like a building, advertising board (fixed, not pop-up), tree, etc, then it is fine.

Equity to both sides throughout the game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree with DaveT you were right.

But to consider an overhanging tree would be interesting

when there is an overhanging tree or cable or whatever - crossing plane of touch - there is usually a local stipulation that if the ball hits it ,yes it is in touch.

(I bet that's where AlanT's informant got this idea from)

given an overhanging tree, and ball hitting it and - potentially - falling into the field of play, dead, it would make sense to also have a convention that a QTI wasn't allowed.

Davet

Post Likes
We have (or since the pitch has been turned round, had) that scenario at a local club.

Ball striking overhanging branch was in touch.

But given that then no restrictions were applied on a QT - why would they be?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i dunno. it just might seem odd to carry the ball off the field and then throw it back in.
perhaps it's managable.

Beer Hunter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Kiwi friend told me that if the ball hits a live sheep then no quick throw but if the sheep's dead then quick throw allowed. Guess it must happen a lot down there.

Davet

Post Likes
What about when the ball hits so hard it kills the sheep?

Beer Hunter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good question but not the one I asked him. What about a Kiwi being in "contact" with the sheep when sheep was dead!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
i dunno. it just might seem odd to carry the ball off the field and then throw it back in.
perhaps it's managable.
But that is exactly what happens if a player catches the ball infield with a foot on the touchline. He must step off the field before taking a QTI. There have been several cases where he didn't and the throw was disallowed.