Ball hits top of upright

Yaweesh

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Good morning,

In yesterday's Glasgow v Dragons game: Penalty kick at goal from right of posts, ball is struck well - straight and high, and appears to come down directly on the top of the right side upright, it is deflected slightly to the left and lands over the dead ball line.

Decision?

Bearing in mind the ref is probably in the best position to see the contact with the post, and has a TMO at his disposal.

Ref went with the ARs and awarded the kick.

I'm of the opinion that if it bounces off the top of the post then it can't have passed between the posts? - i.e. no score.

Thanks

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think they took the view that it had deflected between the posts, much as though it had hit lower down and been deflected through.
It was just one of many strange decisions though. Yet another 'not a good advert for ...'
Better stop there before what's his name complains again

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have always understood that if the ball went over a post is was no goal.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[LAWS]Goal: A player scores a goal by kicking the ball over an opponents’ crossbar and between the goal posts from the field of play, by a place kick or drop-kick. A goal cannot be scored from a kick-off, drop-out or free kick.[/LAWS]

No goal in my books.
On top of and deflecting left, or over the top of, the upright is not 'between'.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Perhaps the 2ARs saw it deflected between the posts, hence the raised flags and so no need to go to TMO