[Maul] Ball in Maul dropped and picked up again. Quins v Exeter Anglo Welsh

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just watched the live game on BT Sport. Quins v Exeter. 65 mins. Quins form a maul about 15 metres out from the Exeter goal line. The ball is at the back of the maul but is then dropped by the bound player and picked up again and the maul continues. The ref has seen it as he indicates it has "gone backwards" so no knock on.

I always thought the maul ends when the ball is on the ground so, I'm wondering why he let the maul continue.?
What decision would you have given here ?

Thanks

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Just watched the live game on BT Sport. Quins v Exeter. 65 mins. Quins form a maul about 15 metres out from the Exeter goal line. The ball is at the back of the maul but is then dropped by the bound player and picked up again and the maul continues. The ref has seen it as he indicates it has "gone backwards" so no knock on.

I always thought the maul ends when the ball is on the ground so, I'm wondering why he let the maul continue.?

Thanks
At one time that was the only legitimate way to turn a maul into a ruck. Maybe things have changed, even if the law hasn't.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

Thanks

For me either PK for handling in the ruck if the ball did not come out of the back, or obstruction if the player lifting the ball then joins in the maul again, or accidental offside as there are players in front of the player who last played the ball. Wrong in my opinion.