Ball over plane of touch but blown back in

breako

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
It's a windy day. The ball is kicked over the plane of touch, doesn't touch anything and is then blown back in. Is it in touch?

Thanks

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
No, I think, in law, and practically speaking as chances are I couldn’t be that precise anyway!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's a windy day. The ball is kicked over the plane of touch, doesn't touch anything and is then blown back in. Is it in touch?

Thanks

No...play on.

If you are TJing or ARing don't get caught by sticking the flag up too soon! !

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
No. The ball isn't in touch until

• If it is being carried, the ball carrier touches the touch line or the ground beyond it or
  • If it is loose, it touches the touch line or the ground beyond it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Thanks

Nope. Play on.

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As someone who has fallen foul of this I can definitely say "don't blow your whistle until the ball touches something in touch!".

I once blew for touch after a ball kicked into touch from a penalty went about 30 yards over the line, over the heads of all the spectators.
Only to see it get caught by a gust of wind just as I blew, and bend back into play where it was caught by a defender. Half the players played on, half stopped.

Never did that again!

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
As someone who has fallen foul of this I can definitely say "don't blow your whistle until the ball touches something in touch!".

I once blew for touch after a ball kicked into touch from a penalty went about 30 yards over the line, over the heads of all the spectators.
Only to see it get caught by a gust of wind just as I blew, and bend back into play where it was caught by a defender. Half the players played on, half stopped.

Never did that again!

Restart scrum to the catcher's team?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Restart scrum to the catcher's team?

I tried to call play on, some did, some didn't. It was carnage for a few seconds.

On reflection I should have blown up, apologised and let them kick the penalty to touch again.

Big learning point.