Ball ripped in goal no foul play Australia vs Argentina

Ewok8341

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi all, watching the Aus vs Argentina game and I’m confused as to the decision regarding the try attempt just after half time by Australia. The ball is taken into the in goal by Australia and is ripped by Argentina before being grounded by the pumas for a goal line drop out.

My query regards the rip. It seems to me that the player that ripped the ball was on the floor and is therefore off his feet. It looked to me like it should be a penalty to Australia however Carl Dixon indicated that because it was in goal this isn’t the case. Can anyone explain this at all or correct me if I’ve seen the play incorrectly?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Don't think the player on the floor is the issue... how does this meet the criteria for a GLDO?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Don't think the player on the floor is the issue... how does this meet the criteria for a GLDO?
Why would the player on the floor not be an issue? I haven't seen the incident to understand the full context, but such players are usually considered out of the game and would be penalised for tackling (as in the SA/AB game earlier) or handling the ball.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the requirements of Law 14 Tackle only apply in field of play. In other words, provided there is no foul play or offside issues, its open slather in goal. Which is fair enough, as otherwise tries would be gifted

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the ref deemed it a knock on in goal by attacking team. Hence GLDO

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A video woud help here as I am reading different descriptions of what happened. Impossible to call from the comments here and over social media.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
this is a Law Change last month - the red text is new (1 July)

13.3 A player on the ground in the field of play, without the ball is out of the game and must:
  1. Allow opponents who are not on the ground to play or gain possession of the ball.
  2. Not play the ball.
  3. Not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.
  4. Sanction: Penalty.

so in the in goal, there is no problem with playing ball on the ground

The reasoning for this change is

Law 13.3 Players on the ground in open play - in-goal implications Making clearer that players on the ground in in-goal can play the ball for a touchdown or try even if they are on the ground Bringing long standing practice into clarity, and updating a simplification amend

which means that yesterday's incident seems to be an unintended consequence of the Law Change, rather than the desired effect

see here

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
There was a clear Ball rip early in the SA v NZ game that resulted in a "try" but was chalked off as the ref said it was a knock on . Very poor decision I thought. Should have gone to the screen as I never heard a call of knock on advantage.

Lancsbarts

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hi all, watching the Aus vs Argentina game and I’m confused as to the decision regarding the try attempt just after half time by Australia. The ball is taken into the in goal by Australia and is ripped by Argentina before being grounded by the pumas for a goal line drop out.

My query regards the rip. It seems to me that the player that ripped the ball was on the floor and is therefore off his feet. It looked to me like it should be a penalty to Australia however Carl Dixon indicated that because it was in goal this isn’t the case. Can anyone explain this at all or correct me if I’ve seen the play incorrectly?
Saw the same game and the same incident and wondered what was going on. But asDickie E says, within in goal, being off your feet isn't an offence.