[INTERNATIONAL] Barbarians v Argentina - Benvenuti interception

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
An interesting moment (one of several) in the Barbarians-Argentina game.

The Barbarians’ winger cuts out an Argentinian pass by knocking the ball up and forward before regathering.

The thing is, the ball travelled a few metres forward before he gathered it.

They played on, but to me, I thought there was a definite case for a deliberate knock forward - in fact it looked much more deliberate than a similar case earlier (when the ball wasn’t gathered.)

Just thought it interesting that the interpretation seemed to be that it had to be a knock on before it was treated as a deliberate knock forward.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Didn’t see it unfortunately, but may also have to consider whether it was given extra leeway as it was Barbarians

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Didn't see it. ..but as described it appears like it shouldn't be allowed!
A juggle and gather is one thing but a deliberate knock forward is not allowed.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Shall we refer to Referee of The Year's video?

According to Mr Gardner, no problem

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didn’t see it unfortunately, but may also have to consider whether it was given extra leeway as it was Barbarians

Maybe - but most of the extra leeway given was in the form of a lack of yellow cards. He penalised an Argentinian for a failed interception, so I'm not sure it was that.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Maybe - but most of the extra leeway given was in the form of a lack of yellow cards. He penalised an Argentinian for a failed interception, so I'm not sure it was that.

Including not carding an Argentinian when he awarded the penalty try!

davidlandy

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Including not carding an Argentinian when he awarded the penalty try!

... and not carding the Argentinian who tried to kick the ball away from the player who had grounded the ball in goal, kicking his hand in the process and causing an injury, and long after the ball had been grounded too!

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
... and not carding the Argentinian who tried to kick the ball away from the player who had grounded the ball in goal, kicking his hand in the process and causing an injury, and long after the ball had been grounded too!

... and not giving a card for repeated infringements after 17 penalties.

The PT, though, I thought was another interesting one. For my money, yes, he did pull down the maul intentionally (so ordinarily a YC there) but I didn't think that contributed to not being able to see the grounding - the maul still made it into in goal and would have collapsed anyway.
I guess the PT was a justified decision for stupidity (if it wasn't going to help, why do it?) but I'd question whether it actually stopped a probably awarding of a try.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
... and not giving a card for repeated infringements after 17 penalties.

The PT, though, I thought was another interesting one. For my money, yes, he did pull down the maul intentionally (so ordinarily a YC there) but I didn't think that contributed to not being able to see the grounding - the maul still made it into in goal and would have collapsed anyway.
I guess the PT was a justified decision for stupidity (if it wasn't going to help, why do it?) but I'd question whether it actually stopped a probably awarding of a try.

All very well, but given that a PT was awarded and clearly for Arg 6 pulling the maul down, one would normally have expected a card.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
You grumpy lot, expecting lots of cards at a BaBa game. You'll be expecting them at a Lions game next.

davidlandy

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
You grumpy lot, expecting lots of cards at a BaBa game. You'll be expecting them at a Lions game next.

I don't expect a lot of cards but I do expect the players' safety to be protected. It's a fine balance but I thought JL should at least have had a word about the boot to the hand.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
All very well, but given that a PT was awarded and clearly for Arg 6 pulling the maul down, one would normally have expected a card.

Oh, indeed! It was a cynical offence so should have been a YC regardless of whether or not it was a PT.

I just thought the PT itself was an interesting decision

nhughes

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Given it was Lacey's last international game and a Barbarian's game there was bound to be a lot of leeway given, bit surprised he didn't hang on for the World cup. I didn't see a lot of the game but you are correct about player safety if they are taking the mick.