Bath Vs Wasps 8.1.21

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I dont know if its as a result of this thread appearing but I've noticed far more occasions recently where referees have actively prevented back lines from closing the lineout including one occasion, during the Premiership highlights last Monday, where the referee actually told a back line to go back having already advanced. I'm wondering if it is just me or whether there has been a recent directive to enforce the law.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
There is a general focus on ‘space’ in all aspects of the game.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I guess that's a practical reason to prefer the 1-arm signal to a the 2-arm version

I remember once doing this and one of the captain's thought I was signalling penalty advantage. At the next breakdown he asked me why we weren't going back for the penalty. Took me a second or 2 to twig.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I remember once doing this and one of the captain's thought I was signalling penalty advantage. At the next breakdown he asked me why we weren't going back for the penalty. Took me a second or 2 to twig.

This 'one arm' signal is/should be a lot different to the advantage signal.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why guess.....just show the clip and it will probably be obvious.
General consensus here would seem to be that a still image isn't very helpful!

The purpose of the photo is to explore the concept that the red captain may think that the ref is awarding them a penalty poo-pooed by you a few posts ago (#66)

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The purpose of the photo is to explore the concept that the red captain may think that the ref is awarding them a penalty poo-pooed by you a few posts ago (#66)

I think you are misunderstanding /confused!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Had the whistle gone ?
Is this even a mail following a line out ?

You can't tell much from a still

the signal for awarding scrum is the same as that for advantage, in a still you couldn't tell them apart, but in the context of a game you always can

Last edited: