[Maul] Binding in front of the Ball Carrier/back foot.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Watched a few highlight reels over the weekend and saw multiple instances of attackers binding in front of the ball carrier or back foot in mauls particularly in the attacking lineout to maul scenario.
It seems that refs are red hot on defenders binding in front of the back foot and are quick to penalise but ignore the same thing blatantly by the attacking teams right in front of them.
Seems to me the elite refs have been told to ignore it. Anyone else see this or is it just me?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Maybe their vision is focused on the defenders so they don't see the attackers?
Dancing Bear syndrome.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Irrelevant Phil, they have fully qualified ARs and TMOs who are ignoring it too!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Maybe their vision is focused on the defenders so they don't see the attackers?
Dancing Bear syndrome.

If so is it not time that their trainers re focussed their mindset?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It was just a suggestion, attack the problem not the messenger :shrug:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
If so is it not time that their trainers re focussed their mindset?

Or perhaps it's not something their trainers think is important and so the referees don't either?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Wasn't attacking the messenger Phil, merely pointing out that it is not just the ref ignoring it.
You've completely lost me on "dancing bear syndrome" even after a google search!

For me what is happening is that it is an unfair contest effectively sanctioned by the elite referee community including their trainers/coaches which completely goes against what our game should be about.
The eleite clamped down a few years ago on lifters blocking the defence (though I do see it creeping in again), I believe this is a similar area that should be looked at.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It was just a suggestion, attack the problem not the messenger :shrug:

Hense my suggestion: "If so is it not time that their trainers re focussed their mindset?"

- - - Updated - - -

Or perhaps it's not something their trainers think is important and so the referees don't either?

Quite possibly.

For me the two sides should be refereed equitably.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The eleite clamped down a few years ago on lifters blocking the defence (though I do see it creeping in again), I believe this is a similar area that should be looked at.

Along with long arm transfers that I now see most weeks but never gets penalised anymore. The flavour of the month doesn't last long.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
How many years ago is it now that PoB as head of referees said squint scrum feeds were to be dealt with?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
How many years ago is it now that PoB as head of referees said squint scrum feeds were to be dealt with?

Probably the same amount of time that the rat ******* sold out his own referees.

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Along with long arm transfers that I now see most weeks but never gets penalised anymore. The flavour of the month doesn't last long.

Not sure about that. In a close Sydney 1st grade game last weekend, Warringah had an attacking lineout just after full time, a try would have won them the game. They win the line-out, form the maul, and do a arm transfer. Referee correctly calls a penalty to Gordon, who wins the game.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not sure about that. In a close Sydney 1st grade game last weekend, Warringah had an attacking lineout just after full time, a try would have won them the game. They win the line-out, form the maul, and do a arm transfer. Referee correctly calls a penalty to Gordon, who wins the game.

Is this however an example of where the community game plays the laws, while the elite game (possibly what Phil was alluding to) has some sort of flexible subset with their own agreed interpretations that are not written anywhere (not even in a secret email) ?

didds

Last edited:

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Is this however an example of where the community game plays the laws, while the elite game (possibly what Phil was alluding to) has some sort of flexible subset with their own agreed interpretations that are not written anywhere (not even in a secret email) ?

didds

Yep. I must say there were a few Warringah supporters who were of the view that it would never have happened in a Super game. Surely the aim is for consistency!