Bledisloe 1

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
25% of the game gone and we are still giving away kickable PKs, White kicks the ball away after a PK, we are taking our own players out, we are trying to run a short blind in wet and slippery conditions and now Beale has tried to crawl 10m along the ground when we finally get into an attacking position. Don't know what the penalty count is but McKenzie had better drill it home at half time. The good news is we are still only 6 points down after all of this.
Things can only get better.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
taking scrum option at a kickable PK. Priceless. Aussie, aussie, aussie. The Polynesian Poms are history.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
taking scrum option at a kickable PK. Priceless. Aussie, aussie, aussie. The Polynesian Poms are history.

Smart move to get rid of a back rower for 10.
The dumb move is going into a test (and a frikkin Bledisloe at that) with a part time kicker. Should be only 3 down.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
65th minute - not straight? What a load of bollocks.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
65th minute. Throw not straight. Jacyo, are your eyes painted on?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Need to see a replay of Barret's YC.
1st impression was it was general play. Will wait for youtube I suppose.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Straw that broke the back I think. Looked like he clearly came within the tackle 'zone' and kicked the ball back towards the NZ line.

Guessing straight put ins at the scrum are a thing of the past again?

Need to see a replay of Barret's YC.
1st impression was it was general play. Will wait for youtube I suppose.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Nothing like a draw to take the noise out of 68,000 spectators when the final whistle goes

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
JP, clearly decided he wasn't going to settle the outcome of the game!

I actually thought he had a very good game. Players were crap.
Nothing like a draw to take the noise out of 68,000 spectators when the final whistle goes

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Gee, if that ref is one of the best in the world then some of you guys who want to get to the top must be immensely joyed, there's hope for you all! He was god awful and genuinely either blind or plain stupid in many moments. Last scrum of the game looked like a sure Australian penalty too, but he lacks the ticker to call it.

Lacks the ticker, lacks the judgement, lacks the sense and clearly lacks the eye sight as well. He needs to hand in his badge.

On a more rugby based note, how terrible is Kurtley Beale. I think Ewen McKenzie needs to have a hard look at his terrible selections too.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No quibbles really. Terrible stop-start match in awful conditions, which in the end, were the great leveller, so I don't think this match tells us anything. Both sides lucky to get the draw, and not a match that will surviving long on the MySky hard disk.

As for the Barrett YC, I thought it was a bit of a crock, looked like general play to me.

Gee, if that ref is one of the best in the world then some of you guys who want to get to the top must be immensely joyed, there's hope for you all! He was god awful and genuinely either blind or plain stupid in many moments. Last scrum of the game looked like a sure Australian penalty too, but he lacks the ticker to call it.

Lacks the ticker, lacks the judgement, lacks the sense and clearly lacks the eye sight as well. He needs to hand in his badge.

Disagree completely. Peyper was good; its the guys with numbers on their backs that were rubbish.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thoughts on Beale's game at 10 please?

I think it has to be White/Toomua or Phipps/Foley.

I'm sure that McKenzie put Toomua at 12 for his defence. Problem for McKenzie now is that he either has to stick with Beale at 10 or eat humble pie and put him on the bench. He is not a good enough tackler to have at 12 against the ABs.

Rod Kafer is currently interviewing Folau and both reckon that Beale did a great job. I'm not convinced.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Beale was awful. Anyone who defends that choice needs a good old fashioned lie down. How McKenzie didn't cull him early opens all sorts of questions about his judgement.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thoughts on Beale's game at 10 please?

I think it has to be White/Toomua or Phipps/Foley.

I'm sure that McKenzie put Toomua at 12 for his defence. Problem for McKenzie now is that he either has to stick with Beale at 10 or eat humble pie and put him on the bench. He is not a good enough tackler to have at 12 against the ABs.

Rod Kafer is currently interviewing Folau and both reckon that Beale did a great job. I'm not convinced.

I thought Beale looked unconvincing at 10.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I bet McKenzie tells Nathan Charles that if he finds himself 8m out and 1 on 1 to straighten his line and have a crack. Ashley-Cooper would have scored in that situation.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm getting a horrible feeling that it may become a bit of deja vu in a throw back to the JOC at 10 experiment

I don't get this selection really. You have some good 10's

Matt Toomua - Brumbies
Quade Cooper - Reds
Bernard Foley - Waratahs

So why pick Beale, who is essentially, a fullback?

Could you imagine Steve Hansen having Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett and Colin Slade all fit and available, and picking Ben Smith to play 10?

PS: What ever happened to Christian Lealiifano?

PPS: At least JOC had a nice hairstyle.

galumay

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

On a more rugby based note, how terrible is Kurtley Beale. I think Ewen McKenzie needs to have a hard look at his terrible selections too.

I didnt think he had a bad game, YC's were a bit of a surprise given that he hadnt given a general warning, and a couple of times I thought we were lucky not to be penalised for our scrums, but overall not a bad performance.

I also disagree about Beale, given the conditions and the style of game and the AB forwards strength and speed, I thought he was fine. Not sure Foley would have been any better. Lots of players missing in action mainly due to the conditions.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Perfect result, Kiwis don't get a new record, Wallaby's can't crow either & it breaks their run ..... + a PK kick competition!