Bledisloe 1

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I didnt think he had a bad game, YC's were a bit of a surprise given that he hadnt given a general warning, and a couple of times I thought we were lucky not to be penalised for our scrums, but overall not a bad performance.

I also disagree about Beale, given the conditions and the style of game and the AB forwards strength and speed, I thought he was fine. Not sure Foley would have been any better. Lots of players missing in action mainly due to the conditions.

1st YC was for a cynical offence and therefore no need for a general warning.
2nd YC I'm just waiting to find a video to see if it was an actual offence.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I don't get this selection really. You have some good 10's

Matt Toomua - Brumbies
Quade Cooper - Reds
Bernard Foley - Waratahs

So why pick Beale, who is essentially, a fullback?

Could you imagine Steve Hansen having Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett and Colin Slade all fit and available, and picking Ben Smith to play 10?

PS: What ever happened to Christian Lealiifano?

PPS: At least JOC had a nice hairstyle.

Matt Toomua - Brumbies Yes if White retained at 9

Quade Cooper - Reds Injured?

Bernard Foley - Waratahs Yes if Phipps at 9 and could keep Toomua at 12 (or also Beale at 12 but defence is not up to Toomua's standard)

PS: What ever happened to Christian Lealiifano? Hasn't regained form since returning from injury and lost his goal kicking mojo somewhere along the way.
PPS: At least JOC had a nice hairstyle Sporting a new look this morning in Toulon's opening game of the Top 14

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
No wonder wobblies can't win in the wet. All junior rugby in Sydney called off today. Kids can get to 20 years old and have never played on a wet track

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Listen to what Hansen actually says in the video. Puts things is a whole different light!

What part of "he's put his hand up that he got the free kicks wrong" and "bad day at the office, he's put his hand up" puts things in a whole different light?

I'm surprised ANY ref would talk to this bloke one on one.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What part of "he's put his hand up that he got the free kicks wrong" and "bad day at the office, he's put his hand up" puts things in a whole different light?

Nice bit of quote-mining there Dickie. Perhaps you had an attack of selective temporary deafness when Hansen was saying "He's no different from the players, he's had a bad day at the office, he's put his hand up. But I've got to emphasise like... it wasn't just his problem, we had a helluva bad day ourselves."

I'm surprised ANY ref would talk to this bloke one on one.

Was the conversation supposed to be "off the record"? I seriously doubt it, because the same admission has been published on the SA REFEREES website!

http://www.sareferees.com/News/peyper--and-players--err/2830225/

So much for any ideas that Peyper's admissions were in confidence/not for publication!!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If you say "the referee was shite and he told me he was shite", adding in a post script that "we were shite too" is not mitigation.

Not outside NZ, anyway.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If you say "the referee was shite and he told me he was shite", adding in a post script that "we were shite too" is not mitigation.

Not outside NZ, anyway.

The only place Hansen has done anything wrong here is in your mind Dickie.

The fact is that it is published on SA REFEREES website thus showing that the conversation was OK for public consumption.

I do not believe for one second that Hansen would breach a confidence if the conversation was "off the record". He ain't no Bob Tickner.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have not yet seen any quotes from Peyper himself though. Once again this article is just quotes from Hansen.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have not yet seen any quotes from Peyper himself though. Once again this article is just quotes from Hansen.

This story has been on the AP wire for five days....

has Peyper refuted any of this? No!
Has SARU made a complaint about it? No!

Hansen must be speaking the truth then. Peyper is a South African Referee, so the fact that the South African Referee's OWN website has published the article speaks volumes.

This is a non-story. Nothing to see here folks, move along!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade