Bledisloe 3 - the sacrifice of the...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Thinking further about this comment from the judicial review, it says that he is entitled to act dangerously/riskily in order to help himself.

Surely he should be trying to avoid hurting others? Sticking his leg out was a voluntary act, not an involuntary one.

Here, this might help

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

It reinforces my point. Jordie was saving himself at someone else's expense. That may be "instinctive", but he created the situation and is therefore responsible for it. Players should be discouraged from such actions.

(In this case it was not really "self preservation" - there was no real danger to Jordie.)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
just bumping this. Jordi Barrett receiving the first KO vs. Springboks. Very similar technique (foot in air). Will post from YouTube once available

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not quite the first kick off but I'd suggest Jordi needs some jumping training from the experts who got him off the last "accidental" foot up.

4:55 on the video timer https://youtu.be/6imyND287jg and a replay at around 5:50

Last edited:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
How would it work out if all players were not allowed to jump for a high ball. It would need a new skill set to be developed, make it safer and easier to contest. We would not be loosing a particularly valued skill, when have I said "Wow, brilliant jump"? Its only a jump, a jump which can injure players, injure the jumping players, and is hard to police. So, if we banned the jump, how would it play out?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So how are unravelling this one? Personally I think two red cards (only blue got one, yet to have the disciplinary / any other citing) others are claiming blue’s actions are as a result of where Red put his foot ��*♂️

https://youtu.be/-2SVGoHWArY

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes thanks.
Also similar in 60th minute

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So how are unravelling this one? Personally I think two red cards (only blue got one, yet to have the disciplinary / any other citing) others are claiming blue’s actions are as a result of where Red put his foot ��*♂️

Red for the red player for mine, that looked like a definite kick rather than accidental raise and on the neck/head. The lifting tackle probably deserves a card too as there was a lifting action after contact was made although the tackler would have some mitigation given he would probably be a bit rocked by what just happened. And a PK/warning for the Red player who pretty clearly obstructed at the start of that interaction!

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Two RC for me. Red lifted their foot and made contact with the head. Blue lifted the player and effectively dropped him on his head/neck.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How would it work out if all players were not allowed to jump for a high ball. It would need a new skill set to be developed, make it safer and easier to contest. We would not be loosing a particularly valued skill, when have I said "Wow, brilliant jump"? Its only a jump, a jump which can injure players, injure the jumping players, and is hard to police. So, if we banned the jump, how would it play out?

At one time, when you had to have at least one foot on the ground to claim a mark, and a mark could be taken anywhere on the ground, players never jumped to catch a ball at all. That worked just fine. It is also not a skill I would miss seeing if it were banned (just as I don't miss "dump tackles", a euphemism for spear tackles.)

However if you want to keep jumping in the game, there are a couple of options

1. Only opponents of the team that last played the ball are allowed to jump, so you cannot jump to catch a ball from your own kick, or a kick by a teammate, or to catch a pass from a teammate, but you can jump to intercept a pass or catch a kick by an opponent.

2. As I have suggested previously, use a variation of the basketball jump rule - a stationary player with his feet on the ground "owns the zone" under his feet, and the right to catch a high ball. PK any opponent who jumps and then runs into him while still in the air, regardless of whether the jumper catches the ball or not.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At one time, when you had to have at least one foot on the ground to claim a mark, and a mark could be taken anywhere on the ground, players never jumped to catch a ball at all. That worked just fine. It is also not a skill I would miss seeing if it were banned (just as I don't miss "dump tackles", a euphemism for spear tackles.)

However if you want to keep jumping in the game, there are a couple of options

1. Only opponents of the team that last played the ball are allowed to jump, so you cannot jump to catch a ball from your own kick, or a kick by a teammate, or to catch a pass from a teammate, but you can jump to intercept a pass or catch a kick by an opponent.

2. As I have suggested previously, use a variation of the basketball jump rule - a stationary player with his feet on the ground "owns the zone" under his feet, and the right to catch a high ball. PK any opponent who jumps and then runs into him while still in the air, regardless of whether the jumper catches the ball or not.

Not sure item 1 provides any real reduction in the likelihood of a boot to the face of a chaser from a jumping catcher and probably increases the likelihood of it happening as a mid-air contest is effectively removed from the game.