[RWC] Blue on Blue action

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Samoa , playing in darkish blue v Scotland , playing in darker blue

Why doesn't one of them change their shirts ?
It's rather an important game

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Completely agree. Shades (pun very much intended!) of Scotland v NZ back at RWC 2007
hqdefault.jpg

I also thought the default teal referee shirt was too close to Uruguay's strip in the Georgia game last week:
Georgia vs Uruguay scrum RWC 2019 compressed.jpg

I cannot understand how the organisers continue to make goofs like this.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I also thought the default teal referee shirt was too close to Uruguay's strip in the Georgia game last week:

I think the red and purple would both be too close to the burgundy of Georgia. I'm surprised at the red; I think amber or orange would have been clearly different from everyone besides Australia, and purple/teal would have been fine with any of those matches.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Completely agree. Shades (pun very much intended!) of Scotland v NZ back at RWC 2007
View attachment 3927

View attachment 3928

I cannot understand how the organisers continue to make goofs like this.

Agreed.
I travel to EVERY game with three colours of shirt. It's not uncommon for a team to arrive with different kit from the last time I saw them. I fish into my kitbag and hey presto I change my shirt. It's not exactly rocket science . Why can't Barnesy do the same

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If it's anything like the European Champions Cup they shirt colours are approved and set in advance, you can't actually use common sense and change them - not sure if that applies to refs or not

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If it's anything like the European Champions Cup they shirt colours are approved and set in advance, you can't actually use common sense and change them - not sure if that applies to refs or not

I just don't buy that.

If Barnesy had taken off his teal shirt and put on his red one instead you think anyone would care ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I just don't buy that.

If Barnesy had taken off his teal shirt and put on his red one instead you think anyone would care ?

And for Samoa Scotland why would anyone approve blue v blue ? It's ridiculous. What a change shitts for , if not that

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I recall a bit of thread over Cardiff v Glasgow and their similar kits and that seemed to get lost in a load of organising body kit approval and sponsorship nonsense.

I don't see what's so hard about telling every team to bring a second different kit to the RWC then deciding pre game "right Wales are in red, Tonga are in white" or whatever.

New Zealand can still clash with Scotland's dark blue and so arguably Australia are the only ones with a "unique colour" - given the failure of Romania to qualify - but everyone else can "clash" with at least one other country.

Red and blue takes in 14 of the 20 teams - utter bollocks!

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I just don't buy that.

Nope, apart from whoever wrote the shirt allocation procedure in the first place, but I can't believe that a ref with WB's experience didn't query it. See link below for more related silliness from last year :-(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45935494

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Just watched the game and I didn't think there was a colour clash and I don't think any players did either!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nor I, colours are clearly different. Nothing to see here.

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
For those of you watching in black & white (does anybody anymore?) Samoa are in blue.
Actually I think the shorts were a sufficient differentiator and the 'clash' had no effect during the game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Two shades of blue was manageable
Having the teams in different colours as is traditional would be preferable

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I think Mr Gauzere had a couple of moments when he started to say "scrum..." and he clearly was going to say "blue" but checked and said "Samoa".

Samoa and Scotland are polysyllabic. The advantage of colors is that they can generally be reduced to one syallable.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
agreed.

I reffed a game two weeks ago where one team was blue with flashes of yellow, the other were a similar blue with some red/white hoops.

It was OK to go ahead, I didn't need anyone to turn shirts inside out, but what to call them was hard. I settled on Red and Gold - but it was not intuitive, either for me or for the players. Intuitively they all felt they were blue !

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Having seen the pictures, I would have called Scotland black and got on with it.
Crossref - I have heard refs use hoops - but you would not use that with blue.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ice hockey sorts this out by each team having two strips: "home" colours (predominantly a solid colour) and "away" colours (predominantly white, with flashes of your preferred colour).
Since every match has a deemed home and away side (even at something akin the RWC) it's always clear in advance what strip each side should wear.
And if rugby did something similar the ref would know in the colours in advance and could wear a contrasting colour.
And it would be easy to call, too - scrum white, pk red.
Of course ice hockey sorts the ref's kit out too - refs always wear black and white vertical stripes. So they never have to change, and there's no problem distinguishing them from any of the teams, even in the heat of a melee ?
Why couldn't rugby do something similar?