Blueprint rugby

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Schools will never follow suit, but oddly the RFU state and continue to state the children can cope with the changes in the rules. Which by default means the the children can cope with the rules which sort of suggests that all of this a bet of a wild goose chase.
As the NRoP continue to extend which they will I wonder how long it will be before we see the scrum removed from the game as a whole as 18 year olds are too old to teach new skills too.......
The way in which this is also being rolled out, totally under the radar and without any form of challenge being listened to really doesn't work. The major point of the NRoP was recruitment and retention and these two measures have never been measured.

Uncontested scrums and no Lineouts? :wtf:

This will soon be the English kids pre-game prep.

Coach: Here you go kids, don't forget to wrap yourself in this before we go on the field. Ask mummy or daddy if you need help.
View attachment 3091

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Some of the stuff I am reading in this thread is beyond the pale. How on earth can you expect to grow good rugby players by wrapping them in cotton wool? Its madness! Some years ago WRU decided that kids playing with oddshaped rugby balls was too frustrating for them with the unreliable bounce so they decided that kids below a certain age would use soccer balls. Go figure.

Here is our U11, U12 and U13 Development model

School Year
Age Grade
Y6
U11
Y7
U12
Y8
U13
Comments
Numbers on Field 15 15 15These numbers are maximums. If a team doesn’t have enough players to start a game, they lose the game, but a game should then be played with equal numbers.
Field Size Full Full FullFor 15's must be full field.
Try 5pts 5pts 5ptsIf score blowouts are occurring (ie 35+ at halftime), both coaches must meet and come to an agreement as to how they can generate a more even contest.
Conversion 2 2 2Conversions are not to be taken further out than the 15m line.
Tackle Yes Yes Yes Tackle must be below the nipple. No fending to the head, face or neck regions.
Subs Only at half time Only at half time Only at half timeThere are no rolling subs. All players must play a half game. Reserves go on at halftime. Also applies to representative games.
Scrums 8
person
person
person
Contest and pushing only at U12 and U13. The push is limited to half a metre maximum. Safety is paramount.
Lineout8 person8 person 8 person Lineouts can be contested from U11. There is to be no lineout lifting at any level.
Penaltynormal normal normal
Kicking(general play)yesyes yes
Length of play2 x 252 x 30 2 x 30 These are the maximums
RefereeYesYes yes If no Playing Rugby referee, no tackling and no contested scrums.
Kick-offNormalNormal Normal There will be no lifting from kick-starts.

I suspect that Australia will be pretty much the same, with maybe minor differences.

Our U12 & U13 have fully contested scrums.

Girls and Boys play in the same teams up to U13

Line out and kick-off lifting starts at U14

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I suspect that Australia will be pretty much the same, with maybe minor differences.

Our U12 & U13 have fully contested scrums.

Girls and Boys play in the same teams up to U13

Line out and kick-off lifting starts at U14

Pretty much, but we have contested scrums and lineouts from u10s, 1m push for scrum and no lifting. its full u19 law vars from u13. Here's our matrix for those remotely interested.
http://myrugby.rugby.com.au/myrugby/images/flip/2014/ModLaws/files/mobile/index.html#1

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the NZ guidelines published by Ian look like the clearest and most sensible thing I have ever seen in age group rugby.

It's also exactly the sort of matrix, well laid out, and good content, that I could see clubs AND schools agreeing to.

I love the rule about subs only at half time, that seems really sensible at those age groups, give the kids some security on the field and decent game time.
- I hate seeing coaches take a player off the field after one or two mistakes. humilated and sometime in tears
- I hate seeing kids on the sidelines who have been promised 'don't worry you will get on' getting more an more anxiouis as time goes on, eventually to be let on the pitch with 5 min to go.

I love this bit , putting it right back on the coaches.
If score blowouts are occurring (ie 35+ at halftime), both coaches must meet and come to an agreement as to how they can generate a more even contest.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I agree, how very clear they read - great template.

Im surprised that nipples are referred to! ...armpit surely better?
+ 35pts in 25mins isn't easy to acheive +25 would make slightly more sense
0.5m push , that's hardly any !

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

+ 35pts in 25mins isn't easy to acheive +25 would make slightly more sense
0.5m push , that's hardly any !

now you are really nit-picking ! (or nip picking)

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree, how very clear they read - great template.

...!

Not if you've got mixed teams.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If you have not got 30 players - and this happens quite a bit in the girls game here - I prefer to see them playing on a reduced width.

In a reduced width, you can have a decent defensive line and rucks and mauls happen.
In a full width the winger gets the ball in space and scores, lather, rinse repeat.
Fine for those wanting to play sevens, lousy for the forwards.

You also need to reduce the scrum size so there are some backs.

However, if you do have 30 kids, get them all on the pitch - we do not want players standing watching.