booing & Barbarians

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I don't know enough of the Barbarians history, but adopting any nation's anthem would seem strange to me - World In Union or somethiing similar seems a popular choice

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Barbarians were formed in Bradford if I recall correctly.

How about "On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at"?

It was also a good chance to play "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols - my favourite version! :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We have a problem in the UK : our national anthem has become associated with just one part of the UK .. England

We badly need England to have its own anthem, and God Save The Queen to return to being a UK anthem

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
do you think the Barbarians were just having a bit of fun by choosing GSTQ at a Welsh venue?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
We have a problem in the UK : our national anthem has become associated with just one part of the UK .. England

We badly need England to have its own anthem, and God Save The Queen to return to being a UK anthem

You mean the song that had the verse about crushing the rebellious Scots with Marshal Wade? That's your version of a unifying anthem? Yeah. No.

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
And when was the last time that verse was sung anywhere?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I wonder if any of those who have wrapped themselves in a St George banner and chanted objectionable, racist slogans, ever realised that the man himself was a Turkish Arab?. He was born in Turkey; his mother was Palestinian. Now, Edmund the martyr on the other hand...

St Edmund has not been forgotten.

An attempt was made in 2006 to have St Edmund reinstated as patron saint of England. A petition was handed into Parliament but it was rejected by the government.

In 2013 another campaign was launched to reinstate St Edmund as patron saint. This was the ‘St Edmund for England’ e-petition, backed by the Bury St Edmunds based brewery, Greene King.

This tongue-in-cheek yet serious campaign questioned whether St George, patron saint of 16 other countries, ever even visited England. It suggested he should be replaced by an Englishman, and who better than the Anglo-Saxon martyr-king St Edmund.

When Scotland gains its independence, you lot will have to write an National anthem, as the UK will be no more.

Last edited:

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
IME God Save the Queen is viewed as the English anthem in Wales. We have our own very good one. I was booing in Welsh on Saturday :)

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
IME God Save the Queen is viewed as the English anthem in Wales. We have our own very good one. I was booing in Welsh on Saturday :)
Captain Rory Best looked a little uncomfortable with the choice of anthems too.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
[
When Scotland gains its independence, you lot will have to write an National anthem, as the UK will be no more.

que? why?

There's no reference to the UK/United Kingdon in the words to GSRQ(/K) ?

its a bit of a dirge, and the rather embarrasing last verse woud see it banned from a Radio 1 playlist these days if released now of course... but I am failing to undersdtsand why it woud be rejected/replaced solely because Scotland gets its (rightful IMO) indepenedence?

didds

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Barbarians were formed in Bradford if I recall correctly.

How about "On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at"?

It was also a good chance to play "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols - my favourite version! :)

The first tour was to Hartlepool (winning) and Bradford (a draw), but their "home" has, for a long time, been considered to be the Esplanade Hotel in Penarth, South Wales.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
que? why?

There's no reference to the UK/United Kingdon in the words to GSRQ(/K) ?

its a bit of a dirge, and the rather embarrasing last verse woud see it banned from a Radio 1 playlist these days if released now of course... but I am failing to undersdtsand why it woud be rejected/replaced solely because Scotland gets its (rightful IMO) indepenedence?

didds

Agreed. It is an anglo-centric anthem. The English can have it and the Cross of St George (always makes me laugh to think of Nigel Fartage saluting the flag of a foreigner).