Boot advice needed for achilles injury - new ref

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
...Si vous promettez de se comporter, je vais vous laisser entrer
No worries, Chopper has agreed to teach me the ropes as far as Forum Etiquette goes, so that should be fine. :)

In terms of the LCA being purely an insurance requirement for the club, I stand corrected.
In this departement (county) we have 42 qualified referees to deal with some 55 matches each week-end.
The LCA (trained assistant referee) was created to avoid 2nd teams travelling long distances only to find their match cancelled due to lack of a suitable referee.
The insurance requirement springs from earlier use of untrained/unsuitable referees as a stop gap.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I bought a pair of Asic Trail (Trail means they work on wet/muddy surfaces too) Sensor 5 as my Achilles had been hurting after each match. I've used them twice and already they are proving 100% effective at stopping the problem recurring. I have yet to try them in deep mud, so will keep you posted.

dreadpiratedaz

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Quick update: did my research and looked for all the different technologies that my superb cricket shoes have . . . but in a rugby boot. It has to be asics and found Asics Gel Lethal Ultimate IGS 5. Took a number of weeks to find a pair in my size as many websites say they have them but don't! I think Asics have stopped making them or they may have updayed them.

Took them out today for a short workout with my orthotics in and they were superb. Very rigid and comfortable. Loads of cushioning and support. Light with plenty of grip, even though the moulded studs look a bit lightweight, they were fine. Not a piece of cardboard in sight! The upper is very confortable and cushioned. Slightly wider fit than usual so my orthotics slid in fine. I might give myself more of a heel gradient. Dont feel like I'm sinking in the pitch but running on top of it. Helped me made a decision not to go back to studs but to stay with mouldeds, I don't need the traction I used - now that I'm 45 this week! Achilles feels fine but will have to build up the mileage and intensity before going back to reffing. Should be fit for the last game of the season! Not bad for less than the price of 2 trips to the physio - now the wife wants a new dress from Monsoon!

Thanks for all your comments

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It has to be asics and found Asics Gel Lethal Ultimate IGS 5.

I am after a pair of those for next season. Where did you get them from?
Having trouble finding a pair in Asics size 14!

Did consider the Asics Hybrid, but could only find them in white!! :wow:

Phil

dreadpiratedaz

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hi Y'all,

here I am updating you two years later.

I still have the same boots as 2 years ago: Asics Gel Lethal Ultimate IGS5. I would swear by them. The achilles issue did improve but was intermittent. After a scan and xray it became clear that the problem has never been the achilles. The achilles was perfect; it was the three little muscles behind it that were getting irritated: flexor hallucis, digitorum and 1 other I can't remember. I'm a severe rear foot supinator (run on the outside of the heel). All three were getting mashed every time I was sprinting. So I am lined up for an ankle operation to chip a bit off the bone(talar joint) that seems to be sticking right into all of those ligaments/tendons.

I had 1 cortisone injection into the ankle joint to see if this was the cause of the problem and it solved it instantaneously for a period of 3 months. After that the pain came back, but not as bad as before.

A really good physio encouraged me to do plyomentrics for sprinting and gave me various exercises to strengthen glute medius, which is responsible for pelvic stability and controlling my severe forefoot pronation. It has still taken quite a while to stengthen these at my age but I feel far more stable when I run.

What are the lessons I have learned?
Get orthotics
Get a biomechanical assessment
stretch your calves regularly
Take at least 3 months to strengthen your calves eccentrically(calf dips on a stair)
Do not neglect your core/glutes
Do plyometrics
Wear asics
Do not assume a diagnosed achilles problem is achilles until a scan - even if you have pain in the achilles (chronic pain can mislead)
Work on your general fitness (beach body workouts DVDs eg insanity/asylum)

Thanks to everyone who has contributed here and hopefully my experience might point you in the right direction.
PS I am still reffing level 8

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Interesting and timely update.

After struggling with calf pain for a year, I finally bucked up and decided to get in shape with plyometrics. There has been progress but it has been slow. The scan is coming up soon.

My preferred calf stretch is the downward dog morning and night.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hi Y'all,

here I am updating you two years later.

I still have the same boots as 2 years ago: Asics Gel Lethal Ultimate IGS5. I would swear by them. The achilles issue did improve but was intermittent. After a scan and xray it became clear that the problem has never been the achilles. The achilles was perfect; it was the three little muscles behind it that were getting irritated: flexor hallucis, digitorum and 1 other I can't remember. I'm a severe rear foot supinator (run on the outside of the heel). All three were getting mashed every time I was sprinting. So I am lined up for an ankle operation to chip a bit off the bone(talar joint) that seems to be sticking right into all of those ligaments/tendons.

I had 1 cortisone injection into the ankle joint to see if this was the cause of the problem and it solved it instantaneously for a period of 3 months. After that the pain came back, but not as bad as before.

A really good physio encouraged me to do plyomentrics for sprinting and gave me various exercises to strengthen glute medius, which is responsible for pelvic stability and controlling my severe forefoot pronation. It has still taken quite a while to stengthen these at my age but I feel far more stable when I run.

What are the lessons I have learned?
Get orthotics
Get a biomechanical assessment
stretch your calves regularly
Take at least 3 months to strengthen your calves eccentrically(calf dips on a stair)
Do not neglect your core/glutes
Do plyometrics
Wear asics
Do not assume a diagnosed achilles problem is achilles until a scan - even if you have pain in the achilles (chronic pain can mislead)
Work on your general fitness (beach body workouts DVDs eg insanity/asylum)

Thanks to everyone who has contributed here and hopefully my experience might point you in the right direction.
PS I am still reffing level 8

I've written other threads on the same affliction that I had, at about the same time as you started yours so it's a wonder I didn't see your thread? In summary mine spanned about 3 years, started with sore glutes, moving down to tight hammy, calf strains and plantar fasciitis etc etc. I also moved to asics boots and had some relief (wasn't the silver bullet but stopped straining the calves!). Physio thought it was all neural (back) but could not locate cause nor the reason so tried many programs of strength and conditioning to the body but to no avail (not orthodics as tests showed that was not a likely problem). But eventually I was diagnosed with severe inflammation at the hamstring insertion in my ass as the most likely problem (but couldn't find the cause) . Cortisone injection in the ass provided instant relief.....only 3 weeks later I developed severe Achilles tendonitis (both sides). More conditioning and radical diet change (to manage inflammation) ensued...and again months later it was to no avail. Cortisone shots around the Achilles provided relief but only lasted 2 months and it returned. 6 months of physio did not help so decided on a visit to the Wallabies/Brumbies sports physician, who told me I had similar condition to Rocky Elsom and there was nothing I could do and I had to just wait it out with rest rest rest (to avoid any surgery) and hope the body healed itself. I resigned myself to no more running ever, and therefore no more refereeing (I could barely walk without severe pain).

4 months later on the sideline of a local rugby match (I could only do No4/5 duties!) I was chatting with another sports physician (team medic) and I told him my issues. He squeezed me in for a consult within a week as he was confident that he knew what the problem was. Within 1 visit plus some body scans (to rule things out) and then second visit he diagnosed that my Sacro iliac tendons (in the back/hips) were locking up and causing the problems. Within 6 weeks of a stretch and strength program (and one cortisone injection) I was pain free and Achilles inflammation almost gone. I returned to a graduated running program and within 3 months I was sprinting again. That was 12 months ago and I'm as good as ever and at full fitness (I continue to do my Sacro exercises and stretches) . That Dr was my hero!

I also swear by the asics and will use nothing else now.

What I learnt though was
1) keep persevering and seek professional help
2) the body is an incredibly complex machine and just one small thing can cause a lot of issues so it's not easy to identify problems. One solution does not fit all.
3) get a 2nd opinion sooner rather than later if the first one is not working. fresh approaches can be all that it takes.
4) good quality boots do matter!

(Oh and not all ankle/leg problems are from pronation or supination, it could be your back/hips causing all the problems to the lower legs).

Last edited:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Asics lethal hybrid 4. Bloody brilliant

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They're bloody white!

Seriously, who cares? IRB referees all around the world have red, blue, white or green boots. It's just the way the world is going. If an assessor is picking me up on the colour of my boots then I have had a great day at the office.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Seriously, who cares? IRB referees all around the world have red, blue, white or green boots. It's just the way the world is going. If an assessor is picking me up on the colour of my boots then I have had a great day at the office.

Then the Assessor who assesses that Assessor should mark him down for being unnecessarily Tory !
Unless I'm mistaken(?) there are no IRB 'referee attire' insistences??

A player could wear 'multicoloured' Mitts Tights Headscarf or headguard, which I think makes boot colour irrelevant.

PS.. I recently watched a Senior Society Officer refereeing a L7 match wearing White trainers.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Then the Assessor who assesses that Assessor should mark him down for being unnecessarily Tory !
Unless I'm mistaken(?) there are no IRB 'referee attire' insistences??

A player could wear 'multicoloured' Mitts Tights Headscarf or headguard, which I think makes boot colour irrelevant.

PS.. I recently watched a Senior Society Officer refereeing a L7 match wearing White trainers.
If the Assessor is tory I'm stuffed... I'm independent

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Jamo, well done losing the weight - I know exactly how you feel :smile: