Brian Moore becomes a ref.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
my club's treasurer and occasional barman (grumpy bald sod with 3 teeth and a multi colour tache for those who have been to Chelmsford) is going through the ELRA course in a couple of weeks, and he's got to be closing in on 300 by now. if he can do it, no reason why you can't Chopper.

as a former tour call went, get involved :)

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Chopper and Mr Moore on our side now. We'll have to recruit this guy next. He's retired now.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
<Tannoy> Ladies and gentlemen, we have now reached the bottom of the well </tannoy>

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i'm either showing my age or my lack of knowledge (some would say interest :)) in life outside my little bubble, but who is that?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
There is an age limit in Wales but it is quite old. you would never keep up for the elite game at the age 65+ I seem to remember.

There was a news item about a guy who reffed for the local youngster having to stop as he could no longer be insured due to his age.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
GW was a CHEERLEADER at Yale.

I seriously doubt he had the testicular fortitude to play rugby as it would require putting his OWN ass on the line.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Does this mean we have to give BCM access to the refs' section?

Brian - let me know and I'll amend your profile.

A more serious point is that if you think of it as 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock, you might find it easy to get stuck in the trap of being in a single position. Best thing is to stay mobile along that arc, probably moving from narrow to open side.

And thanks and congratulations for doing this.

I'm not touching the Halifax school thing. I had a disastrous exchange to Broadleians vs Crossleyans. I still shudder when I drive past the damn schools.

If Brian Moore Referee's for a society week in and week out then I have no issues with him being given all access as normal referees have.

If he's just refereeing one game 'to see what all the fuss is about' then that's not good enough, stays as a fan.

I would very much like to see you do it week in week out for a season though Brian, one game doesn't do anything, you need the good games, the bad games, the frustrated players, the moaning parents & coaches, the players who think you're the best ref ever, the capatin who has the leadership skills of a slug. You need to experience all this to fully understand what we do. Remembering that you as a referee will improve through all these experiences.

When you've experienced all of that, I think your opinion of us will change a lot more than what it will do in one game.

But I do thank you for taking the effort to make the first step, and at least try and have a look at what we do.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Brain good luck.

BUT if you want the real indoctrination, then can I suggest you sack your 2 AR's (I'm sure Ed would rather have a beer and watch anyway), and get two members of the team to run touch.

Then you have to wonder where they are, if you can trust them, can they do it while smoking/chatting up the MILF etc. And they you have to work out who is the TJ when 4 arms go up when a player is near the touch line, but not the guy you appointed, only to realise he is still back on the halfway line talking on his mobile......

Added to which the players will be less well behaved if they know the TJ's can't report foul play etc.

So go on - go the whole way - ask Ed and co to stand down and just watch and comment.

Let us know how it goes.

FF

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
If Brian Moore Referee's for a society week in and week out then I have no issues with him being given all access as normal referees have.

If he's just refereeing one game 'to see what all the fuss is about' then that's not good enough, stays as a fan.

You're a one-eyed lot - off the FoP I hasen to add!:love:

If you let him into your inner sanctum I would've thought his experience as an elite player, solicitor,columnist in the Telegraph and one-time ref could prove invaluable to 'your cause'.:clap:

And I still think you could let an arthritic old man in too whose unbounded enthusiasm for the beautiful game could come up with issues you youngsters would never think of.:hap:

PS Take a vote on it, Robert.:hap:

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Hang on, we have cause? What did I sign up for? When do we march?

There's a refs only section so that we can exchange information that has no value outside our ranks - talks about teams, for example.

You might have missed the forum title?

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Hang on, we have cause? What did I sign up for? When do we march?

There's a refs only section so that we can exchange information that has no value outside our ranks - talks about teams, for example.

Let me be the judge of that. :drool:

. . . and what about agreeing to a poll to let Brian in? (. . . and me?)

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ok, lets start. i vote no. anyone else?

:)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Chopper - join a refs society, train as an advisor, do the appointments - you don't HAVE to run around.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Chopper - join a refs society, train as an advisor, do the appointments - you don't HAVE to run around.

. . . and how humiliating that would be.:sad:

What's the betting if you put Brian's submission to the vote that he wouldn't make it?

How do you initiate it? Can I do it? He'd be one 'elluva asset if you let him in.

Last edited:

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
. . . and how humiliating that would be.:sad

Not in the least. Advisors as a group are thoroughly decent members of society and if I can get help from them to improve my game in even the slightest way then they have my respect. It's just the odd one or two that were watching a totally different game to the one that I was involved in with whom I have difficulty.

Why not get on to Cornwall and see if you can help; give Terry Mortimore a shout, he is of the same generation and no doubt will be able to set you straight.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Not in the least. Advisors as a group are thoroughly decent members of society and if I can get help from them to improve my game in even the slightest way then they have my respect. It's just the odd one or two that were watching a totally different game to the one that I was involved in with whom I have difficulty.

Why not get on to Cornwall and see if you can help; give Terry Mortimore a shout, he is of the same generation and no doubt will be able to set you straight.

Will discuss with my wife. What about setting up the vote for Brian?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Experiences can be shared on the public forum for all to gain an insight too.

the private forums are not anything special, just a place where refs can talk about specifics of games, areas, etc without their comments being misconstrued into anything else by the unknowing public.

This happened before when one of the papers linked to this forum to a pointless thread about wearing a hat, probably one of the most pointless thread ever on this forum, but the paper used it to portray that we were nothing more than a place where referees can be stupidly pedantic.

That's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.