Brian Moore becomes a ref.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I haven't gone through all the pages ion thread but would like to make a few points:

1. My intention was never to use this as a stunt; I don;t need to do things that way; anyone who knows me would not have even suggested this.

2. I realise some people are unhappy about the resources being devoted to me but referees in general got their cause highlighted.

3. My injury was a bad tear and when it heals I will ask for games to referee.

4. I couldn't care less about being given access to an inner sanctum here. I never say or write anything I will not say to some one's face.

5. I don;t see why even on here it is not acceptable to criticise fellow referees - what makes anyone exempt from this provided the criticism is accurate and not mere abuse.

1 Never thought you did.

2 Not me and yes we did.

3 Get well soon

4 Me too - Brian you looked an @rse in those leggings.:biggrin:

5 We often let rip at showbiz refs but more often than not try to "criticise" each other with a developmental head on.

Well done on your considerably less than Warholian 15 minutes of fame.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
2. I realise some people are unhappy about the resources being devoted to me but referees in general got their cause highlighted.
Not me. I thought it was good for refereeing to see someone of your status taking it seriously.

The injury was a real shame. We've all been there, but not so publicly. Good luck with the next games.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Brian, you put yourself up there to be shot at, and were unfortunate (allegedly) to get a game with several ringers who would have tested any new ref of a certain age. I share the view of those who think your reputation has been enhanced rather than diminished by the experience.

If you can now just get a certain Stuart Barnes to at least read the Laws of the Game, I will do what I can to arrange a knighthood (Phil the Greek is patron of my local club). I'll know that you've kept up your end of the bargain if he manages to commentate without saying "he's got to let him up".

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
indeed - i'll add my comment that it's great that you're going to give it another go when your leg heals. as others have said, we've all pulled up lame in matches so do share your frustration on that front.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
One of my earliest assessments, at DaveTs club strangely enough, in the day when it was considered uncool to give the referee any notice, my assessor made his presence felt just as I had started my pre match warm up. No time for that nonsense, I was to get on with it as he had to leave early.

So, an early call to get the teams on the pitch only to pull a calf muscle at the kick off dash. Wrongly, I struggled on to get an acid comment later about my apparent lack of fitness.

Lessons learned; (1) don't allow anyone to upset your pre match routine; (2) have the confidence to stop play and hand him the whistle - blazer, flannels and all.

Sympathy where it's due Brian, good effort and more widely appreciated than you might imagine. :clap:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I haven't gone through all the pages ion thread but would like to make a few points:

If you had - I think you would have found a fair few in favour of what you did. Even those who perhaps put a slight negative slant on things... In fact people have been very positive about most aspects - your commentary, your balls to do it, and so on.

1. My intention was never to use this as a stunt; I don;t need to do things that way; anyone who knows me would not have even suggested this.

Some of the referees on here are very cynical. Best way to prove them wrong is for you to be seen more regularly out on the field - the mid week games in and around London are some of the best. (obviously once recovered)

Which is just jealousy - we all would love that sort of resource thrown at us when we started, or even now. We just wanted to highlight the "difference" our first experience with the whsitle was!

Fantastic and good luck with the recvoery - injuries are a bitch. I suggest that this time you keep it quiet. Not because we don't want to know, but I suggest that the teams shouldn't know, because you want to ref a proper team for your current ability as a ref.

5. I don;t see why even on here it is not acceptable to criticise fellow referees - what makes anyone exempt from this provided the criticism is accurate and not mere abuse.

This is a sad point - but the refs like to have a point where they can bring up their own errors, mistakes, issues. They want it private, so that when they rock up at some rugby club, they don't get - oh so you admit you f*cked up last time, and were sh!t then. The point is to discuss stuff, and to open ones self up to critiscm and assistance, while reducing the chance of it feeding back into the players and coaches, so enabling the referee to still have the respect of teh players when they arrive at the ground.

If you don't want to be a part of it, that's your call, but many on here have learnt from things that many on here wouldn't say in public (but would and have said to the persons face), but would keep behind closed doors. For me over here in Switzerland where I have virtually no contact with other refs, it's a lifeline.

I hope as you continue to ref, you realise that much of what is said here, while maybe not relevant to the top level, is highly relevant to levels most people on this board ref at - where management and coaching is more important than being a policeman. and perhaps you will find some of it useful.

Keep on the good work, and keep reffing.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
One passing comment which BM said during the last international seems to have passed most by, but it stuck in my mind and IMO spoke volumes. Eddie Buttler said something along the lines of "Referreeing is a recent interest of your Brian." The answer was something like "Probably more of an obsession" which to me at least shows this isn't just an 80 minute flash in the pan. It struck a chord as it seemed to sum up my own experience.

And don't tell him a Taff said so, but I think BMs commentating has improved because of his experience too. :clap:

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Deeps - I just want to make it clear that I was not the blazered chap who thought warmups were nonsense.

But I may not be able to call refs and let them know they are to watched, for several fine and apporopriate reasons I often don't know where I will be asked to go myself till about 9pm Friday.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Welcome back Brian and good luck with the recovery if you can't get a game we are short of refs in cumbria so feel free to make yourself available

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Deeps - I just want to make it clear that I was not the blazered chap who thought warmups were nonsense.

But I may not be able to call refs and let them know they are to watched, for several fine and apporopriate reasons I often don't know where I will be asked to go myself till about 9pm Friday.

You are in the clear Dave, Yes I know Assessor appointing can be somewhat dynamic on occasions. I prefer to know that I am being assessed so that I can factor that into my mental preparation but I appreciate the reasons why notice can be a little short sometimes.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes I know Assessor appointing can be somewhat dynamic on occasions. I prefer to know that I am being assessed so that I can factor that into my mental preparation but I appreciate the reasons why notice can be a little short sometimes.

I wait until the Friday evening before contacting the referee. This seems to be acceptable.