Brian Moore becomes a ref.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
In todays telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...will-come-in-handy-for-life-as-a-referee.html

Will watch this devlop with interest!

Good on him for giving it a go - Now we just need to get Stuart Barnes to join him!

You beat me to it, Lizban.

I was going to provide a 'taster' just to interest those who may not bother;

Brian Moore: my background in cheating will come in handy for life as a referee.

A rugby referee wrote to me recently, taking me to task for comments I made about the referees in a number of matches. He provided a long list of what he alleged were inaccuracies and unacceptable criticisms of the various officials and ended by saying that perhaps if I bothered to get off my behind and try to do their job, I might make fewer mistakes and be less inclined to shoot my mouth off when a referee made the occasional error.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
he did mention this at the central meeting he spoke at but, like many, i took it with a pinch of salt.

he still won't get the full flavour of being a low level ref if he's got 2 panel guys running as AR, but it's a start. i wonder if this will change his views about feeding etc?

the ref who wrote to him - he wasn't referring to the threads on here perchance was he?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
This baptism is to be made with the added sulphur of having a member of the panel of elite referees and my course tutor acting as touchline assistants and the whole thing being filmed and my comments recorded via microphone.
:wow: Is that normal for a first game?

The main bar to this is the stipulation of a maximum refereeing age. By the time a professional has retired he is closing fast on this limit and would struggle to referee enough games.
TBH I didn't know there was one. :chin:

Good for him. I'm sure it will help with his commentating. After all how many other commentators are qualified refs? :clap:

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
there isn't. what i suspect he means is that if someone stops playing aged 42 or thereabouts there is not really enough time for them to climb up the pole to the very top level.

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
Go into refs forum I'll fill you all in

bigJ

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Go into refs forum I'll fill you all in

bigJ

I can't get into that one. :sad:

BM's my hero, so can some nice unselfish ref. bring Big J's comments into the open for us interested visitors to read, please?:hap:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
nope. 'fraid things don't work that way.

bcm666

Brian Moore, Ex England International Hooker
Post Likes
A point of preference; in open play a few people have said the 5 or 7 o'clock behind the SH of the team in possession gives the best view of the offside lines, but to me standing on the open side just towards the back foot of the defending side seems a better option; varying the position at times.

Any ideas?

BTW I think the assistants will will not be miked up so they cannot help other than when i consult them, but I will be giving them instructions as to what I want them to scrutinise.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
bcm666

You need to change your grade from "I am a fan" to "I am a referee" :biggrin:

Very best of luck.

I don't quite understand your question because in "open play" there are no offside lines?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A point of preference; in open play a few people have said the 5 or 7 o'clock behind the SH of the team in possession gives the best view of the offside lines, but to me standing on the open side just towards the back foot of the defending side seems a better option; varying the position at times.

Depends what's going on - if teams are picking and driving close to ruck then you'll be in the way.

I think you'll be better informed after the match.

Enjoy it and well done for having a go.

Congratulations on being the second best referee on this forum who went to school in Halifax. :wink:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Does this mean we have to give BCM access to the refs' section?

Brian - let me know and I'll amend your profile.

A more serious point is that if you think of it as 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock, you might find it easy to get stuck in the trap of being in a single position. Best thing is to stay mobile along that arc, probably moving from narrow to open side.

And thanks and congratulations for doing this.

I'm not touching the Halifax school thing. I had a disastrous exchange to Broadleians vs Crossleyans. I still shudder when I drive past the damn schools.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
BCM666 - kudos for taking up the challenge. Let us know how it goes. We never (well, rarely) criticise a fellow referee on here; a point that may have irritated you in the past, but which may have a certain attraction henceforward:wink:

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Very well done Brian, an outstanding effort and the start of a lot of fun. Keep at it, smile a lot but above all enjoy yourself.

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes

Any ideas?

BTW I think the assistants will will not be miked up so they cannot help other than when i consult them, but I will be giving them instructions as to what I want them to scrutinise.

Brian have your kit ready except my car got stolen with it in so will have to get some more and will drop off to Ed on Sat.

I would seriously advise you not to be miked up with the TJ's, you need to concentrate on whats in front of you for the time being......... not have to worry about communicating with the TJs and them giving orders/advice down the mike to you. it will be hard enough as it is.

Sorry wont be able to make it monday but wishing you the very best of luck.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Look forward to your first post in the match report section!

Good luck and well done.

Agree with the earlier post, keep moving at breakdowns - apparently players cheat when they think you aren't looking

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
that's the point though, you're not one of our buddies :D :wink: :p

(ok, even with the emoticons it's a bit harsh - nothing meant by it :))

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
What's it to do with fairness? If I get a bit of inside info I'd share it with my reffing buddies.:hap:
Chopper - dust down the boots - ref a game and then you may get access to the inner sanctum:D

PS I see your age as experience as opposed to a barrier