[B&IL] British & Irish Lions Signed Referee Shirt

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
How's this for a suggestion then? Feel free to blow it out of the water if you like; I'm a big boy now and won't take it personally. :biggrin:

If you are leaning towards a raffle rather than an auction, would it work if each person bought into the raffle at say £10 each BUT the number of entries was a multiplier of the number of "Likes" they have received from other RR.com members. Eg A person with no "Likes" would get 1 "point". A person with say 8 "Likes" would have 8 "points" ie effectively 8 times the chance of being drawn, 35 "Likes" 35 "points" you get the gist. The draw could be done randomly (via a simple spreadsheet) a bit like ERNIE does for the Premium Bonds.

I appreciate that no system is perfect, but it would be a way of acknowledging members who have made a positive contribution towards the site. Worth a thought / tweaking? :chin:

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Taff, unfortunately that means that generally those who have been on the site the longest will have the highest number of entries unless newer members spent more. Not particularly fair.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
How's this for a suggestion then? Feel free to blow it out of the water if you like; I'm a big boy now and won't take it personally. :biggrin:

If you are leaning towards a raffle rather than an auction, would it work if each person bought into the raffle at say £10 each BUT the number of entries was a multiplier of the number of "Likes" they have received from other RR.com members. Eg A person with no "Likes" would get 1 "point". A person with say 8 "Likes" would have 8 "points" ie effectively 8 times the chance of being drawn, 35 "Likes" 35 "points" you get the gist. The draw could be done randomly (via a simple spreadsheet) a bit like ERNIE does for the Premium Bonds.

I appreciate that no system is perfect, but it would be a way of acknowledging members who have made a positive contribution towards the site. Worth a thought / tweaking? :chin:

I was going to like this suggestion , but then I thought ... no .....bollocks to that idea ..... mine might be the deciding 'like' that loses me the prize & gifts it to my celtic cousin, I didn't 'like' what i was thinking ................ er like !

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
If you want to give something valuable away, then the difficult question is "who to", not "how much".

You don't seem to be asking the right question.

Also, running a site like this takes far more effort than money. Yes, time is money, and I appreciate your effort.

Let me be clear: if you have a 'valuable' shirt, then give it away, or auction it, or raffle it. Only one of those. If you wish to make any kind of profit, do not use the word 'give'.

Please?

If you do pass it to Rushy, then for F**K sake make sure it leaves the postman's hands in a backwards direction in relation to the doorstep, or he'll refuse to accept it !:pepper:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Minimum buy in to the raffle.

Then we trust you (or a member of Clan Burns) to pull a truly random name from the hat

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Minimum buy in to the raffle.

Then we trust you (or a member of Clan Burns) to pull a truly random name from the hat

Yeah it's about time we had another "Burns live on Youtube draw" again :clap:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Yeah it's about time we had another "Burns live on Youtube draw" again :clap:
Have we had one before then? I must have missed it.

If its a match shirt, it wont fit half the people on here :)
The chances are that it will never be worn, but will end up in a display case.

If you want to give something valuable away, then the difficult question is "who to", not "how much". Also, running a site like this takes far more effort than money. Yes, time is money, and I appreciate your effort. Let me be clear: if you have a 'valuable' shirt, then give it away, or auction it, or raffle it. Only one of those. If you wish to make any kind of profit, do not use the word 'give'. Please?
But a jersey like that has a dual "value". It obviously has a monetary value eg if you stick it on e-Bay it will sell no question about it.

However it also has a nostalgic value - presumably far more to other referees that Joe Public. In that way I can see that "who" it goes to is just as important as "how much" Robert Burns gets for it - which will help keep RR.com going. If you could tick BOTH boxes, you've nailed it.

On the motorbike forum I subscribe to (£12 a year) the site owner once gave us a "breakdown" of how much it cost him to keep the site going, after his server crashed and had to be replaced. It was an eye-opener.

Last edited:

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
If you could tick BOTH boxes, you've nailed it.

Well, the capitalist way to deal with this conundrum would be to have a raffle ticket fund which bids the total initially invested (or committed to) by the members interested, and then start the ebay auction, but allowing the raffle ticket fund to keep on bidding too (i.e. more tickets to be sold for the fund during the period of the auction).

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
...The chances are that it will never be worn, but will end up in a display case....
Too true, Taff. Anyway since we've already bought the display case and chosen a spot on our club house wall for this jersey, Robbie. In line with post #20, bollox to the raffle / auction debat just give it to one of the French refs. It'll save you alot of hassle in the long run.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
A raffle confined to refs, who were at one or more of the tests :)

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Raffle would be "fairer" however those with more disposable income can buy more tickets which I don't see as an issue.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Nah. One time buy in, one ticket per member

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
KISS, keep it simple stupid.

A raffle, £5/£10 each ticket people can buy as many as they want. that way everyone has a chance and those that can/want can buy as many as they want.

Everyones in with a chance and the multiple buys will boost the coffers of the site.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I digress slightly (I digress a lot in fact). I was asked to draw the raffle in the clubhouse after a match I reffed a few weeks ago. I drew my own ticket. That just has to be seriously bad form.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
KISS, keep it simple stupid.

A raffle, £5/£10 each ticket people can buy as many as they want. that way everyone has a chance and those that can/want can buy as many as they want.

Everyones in with a chance and the multiple buys will boost the coffers of the site.

While I'm fine with a raffle, it certainly isn't the simplest for Robbie. If he was to KISS he would go ebay.