[B&IL] British & Irish Lions Signed Referee Shirt

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Members,

An authentic Match day IRB referee shirt from the British & Irish Lions tour of Australia, sigbed by the three test match referees, Craig Joubert, Chris Pollock & Romain Poite. I believe this is a one off shirt.

Next week I will be giving this shirt to someone, I just need to decide how.

I can either Auction it on ebay, or I can raffle it. I can legally conduct the raffle from WA without a requirement for a permit providing that it's clear that all proceeds are going to the running of the site.

Thoughts?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would go with whichever method would maximise the revenue.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I second Simon

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
To get the most for the site, personally I would auction it.

Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Auction would get you more I think

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Raffle would be a fairer way to ensure that all members have a chance of getting their hands on it. Auction limits it to those with deep pockets.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
The obverse side of the coin is that the auction would raise more money and allow the site to exist without revenue problems. If it is for the benefit of the members directly then raffle is the way to go as there are a lot of people that earn top end money on here but if it's for the site's benefit then auction all the way.
Raffle would be a fairer way to ensure that all members have a chance of getting their hands on it. Auction limits it to those with deep pockets.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

In a raffle, if I have lots of money I can buy lots of tickets.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
True Dickie but everyone has a chance of winning the prize, if its an auction its limited to a few.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
P.S. Why not run a bigger/ second raffle at the same time if you need to raise funds.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
how about this

sell raffle tickets for a fixed price, and count how many you have sold. lets say you sold x tickets.
issue x additional tickets, and auction them (as a job lot, all in one go)
ie people are bidding for a 50% chance of winning the raffle.

You could vary that by auctioning a more than x additional, to create a more attractive lot.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just give it to me :)

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
If its a match shirt, it wont fit half the people on here :)

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
How about an "undemocratic" forum poll (raffle v Auction) to see what the majority of members think?
If I were in your shoes, I'd auction it. But then again a raffle could generate more interest...

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Unless you say something like £5 or £10 a raffle ticket, in which case 30/40/50 people entering that may be more worthwhile than an auction where you'll hit a limit and 3/4 of the people lose interest.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
If we go raffle it will have to be £5 ish a ticket. Remember we also have our Twitter & Facebook community, so may do ok.

And as you all know whilst I like a little fundraising for the site, I also like making really special items like this available to everyone to have a chance of winning.

Other bonus about a Raffle is that I can run it for longer, down side is it's more effort to manage.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Next week I will be giving this shirt to someone, I just need to decide how.

I can either Auction it on ebay, or I can raffle it.

If you want to give something valuable away, then the difficult question is "who to", not "how much".

You don't seem to be asking the right question.

Also, running a site like this takes far more effort than money. Yes, time is money, and I appreciate your effort.

Let me be clear: if you have a 'valuable' shirt, then give it away, or auction it, or raffle it. Only one of those. If you wish to make any kind of profit, do not use the word 'give'.

Please?