Camborne SOM v Redruth Albany

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, what can I say? It was just one of those days that you knew was going to go terribly.

Last night I had fitful sleep, interspersed with being sick and having an ear-ache. I was very close to calling to cry-off. But in the morning I felt better and the thought of a run-around and fresh air was naturally enticing.

I get to the club (which has now been in Penryn not Camborne for a number of years - could they please change their name?) having not had lunch (in a rush at Plymouth and Truro train stations, my planned lunch buying spots).

Then I get told that the last time these two teams played each other the match was abandoned, and that last time Albany played the match was abandoned...

All in all, not looking too promising. Then I have a little run-around as the sides come out in dribs and drabs, then go to warm up on a completely different pitch down a hill and behind some teams. Albany's side aren't all out until 10 minutes before kick off. They've got that combination you dread - chatty, wily old scrum-half, hooker and open-side. Oh dear, my ears will ache after this.

It turned out that the scrum half was one of those that spends the entire game telling you that you're having a blinder, usually to tell you that you were crap towards the end when the other team suddenly take the lead. Exactly the same happened today - CSOM went two points up with a try about four or five minutes to the end (Albany having led from the first score). Thankfully that was the only similarity, the scrum half maintained that I'd had a good game (the assessor even told me that the scrum half had 'put in a good word on my behalf').

So, despite the trepidation, it all turned out quite well. I felt fine, was given a lift to the nearest supermarket on my arrival to grab a pasta for lunch (the advantage of arriving more than one and a half hours before kick-off). Both sides were happy as was the assessor.

Assessment to follow.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, the assessment came through really quickly. :) Always like it when that happens, I'm kind of impatient when it comes round to finding out an 'official' opinion.

Very happy with it - especially the comment about my fitness (obviously the evening runs are paying off) and the movement around the R/M area which was one of the aspects of my Hants report that I was particularly keen on rectifying.

Attachments

• Camborne SOM v Redruth Albany.doc
    99 KB · Views: 29

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Maybe Camborne SoM wish to retain the name for historical reasons - they have had a handful of international players, though none since WWII.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perhaps - they do have their internationals board up in the club house (not as big as Old Cryptians international board though :wink: ). It's all to do with the fact that the faculty is still called 'Camborne School of Mines', despite being shifted around since the 70s when it began being under the control of Exeter University.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
You should be happy with that one Simon, it looks to me as if you've made notable improvements in exactly the areas that your prior assessment had indicated. Well done.

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
All looks really good, can someone exlain what the 'G and 'SP mean and any other grades that are used??

AndyKidd

Referees in Heaven
Post Likes
Quick Summery
  • Good (G)
For a G to be awarded the Referee should have complied with the all of the Control and Communication descriptors on nearly all occasions")<O:p></O:p>
  • Minor Development (MD)<O:p></O:p>
For a MD to be awarded the Referee should have complied with the all of the descriptors on most occasions <O:p></O:p>
  • Needs Development (ND)<O:p></O:p>
For an ND to be awarded the Referee should have complied with the Control and Communication descriptors not regularly enough<O:p></O:p>
  • Significant Development (SD)<O:p></O:p>
For an SD to be awarded the Referee should have complied with the descriptors too infrequently <O:p></O:p>

For a full look at the guidance

http://www.hantsrefs.org.uk/Development/assessform2.htm

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well done Simon - keep working on the fitness and excellent re RMT. Especially good to see as I was assessor that marked you down on the RMT area !

My daughter is a graduate of Camborne School of Mines three years ago - she did first two in Camborne and final one at new Penryn Campus, linked to Penryn Arts College - whole move caused major aggro as no one wanted to make the move but was imposed on CSM. They were part of Exeter Uni but now are University of Cornwall. My daughter's year were last ones to get an Exeter Degree.