Can Anyone Recommend Good Leather Boots?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I had a pair of leather Canterbury boots which were brilliant and lasted me years. Sadly, after about 6 years they eventually gave up the ghost but the replacement non-leather boots have lasted 2 years tops and are now falling apart.

I do tend to look after my kit and don't mind paying a bit extra for quality; so does anyone know of any real leather boots? I've given up trying to Google them, because the manufacturers advertise their plastic boots as "faux-leather" and you just end up drowning in cascade of psychedelic crap. :wow:

I suppose they don't have to be rugby boots either; eg some of the closest I have found so far were advertised as "Soccer boots".

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I wear Adidas Copa Mundial soccer boots - leather, light, comfortable and they seem to be lasting well.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Give a firm called 'Morrant Sports' a call (020 8530 5307). I have no ties with this mob other than I have used them for a number of years and found them to be knowledgable, reasonably priced and very helpful.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I wear Adidas Copa Mundial soccer boots - leather, light, comfortable and they seem to be lasting well.

a second vote for these, come with 6 studs or moulded stud sole. A similar boot is the Puma King. Been around for donkeys but both a design classic, very comfortable.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
a second vote for these, come with 6 studs or moulded stud sole. A similar boot is the Puma King.
Funnily enough, these were one of the boots that interested me originally, and why I mentioned they don't need to be rugby boots.

... Been around for donkeys but both a design classic, very comfortable.
If it's been around "for ages" it must be doing something right.

"Light leather" doesn't necessarily mean poor quality. In my prime I had a pair of Adidas Cap boots - the one with the original single front toe stud. Probably the best pair of rugby boots I've ever owned - sadly no longer made. :sad:

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would never wear anything apart form Asics Gel.

Had lots of heel and calf problems which all stopped when I switched to Asics Gel.

Very comfy and I have never paid full price, always find a bargain somewhere on the net. I buy a new pair every season to maintain the sole rigidity.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I have two boots: One is like Phil E's - Asics Gel, every time.

The other, for hot dry hard is trail runners. Oh my Lord, my feet love me.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have two boots: One is like Phil E's - Asics Gel, every time.

The other, for hot dry hard is trail runners. Oh my Lord, my feet love me.

What brand of trail runners? Almost all of my games are in hot weather on turf or rock hard natural grass.