[Law] Can you be offside after charged down?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I gave a recent offside penalty against a team who complained that it was accidental and unavoidable.

In open play, blue attack and try a kick thru. Red charge it down so no knock on. However, in front of the red player who charged it down, are 3 of his team mates who pick up the ball.

Are they offside deliberately? Accidentally?
I can see the point. I. E. They were not expecting a charge down. So they couldn't help but instinctively fall on a ball which has ricocheted to them?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I gave a recent offside penalty against a team who complained that it was accidental and unavoidable.

In open play, blue attack and try a kick thru. Red charge it down so no knock on. However, in front of the red player who charged it down, are 3 of his team mates who pick up the ball.

Are they offside deliberately? Accidentally?
I can see the point. I. E. They were not expecting a charge down. So they couldn't help but instinctively fall on a ball which has ricocheted to them?

Correct decision.
They were in front of a team mate who last played the ball.

There could be a justified argument for accidental offside if after the charge down the ball cannoned into them but you say in the OP, "are 3 of his team mates who pick up the ball". One (or more) of the offside players deliberately plays the ball, i.e. picks it up. I take it there were blue players near where the red offside player/s pick the ball up?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
instinctively is not equal to accidentally

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The charge down puts the kickers team onside - which may be a source of confusion.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
There is case for treating it as accidental. But there is not enough info for us to judge. You did so in a split second. So I say you were correct.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
There is case for treating it as accidental. But there is not enough info for us to judge. You did so in a split second. So I say you were correct.
Exactly. I reckon it depends how fast it happens; if it happens so quick that the offside player doesn't get a chance to think, I would personally give a scrum for accidental offside. If there is enough of a gap that he could have left the ball alone, then I would give a PK for deliberate offside.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I think the crux is whether it is reasonable to expect the player to know the ball came from a team-mate behind him. If so, then he is expected to suppress his instinct to play the ball.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
► if the offside player intentionally touches the ball, its a PK (whether or not he knew he was offside is irrelevant)

► if the ball strikes him, its accidental offside, and a scrum.

IMO

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I think it depends on the level of the game and your empathy for it. I had an assessor last year (miked up) and I gave a scrum in a situation where the player played the ball where it can to him very quickly. I told the players why it was "only a scrum" they accepted it and the assessor was more than happy with my "feel". I don't thinkl the same latitude would be right in a RWC game (for example).