Can you Red Card a player from his own team!!!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
from his own team? suggestions south african referees are biased eh?

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes I red carded a player for punching his own captain. :norc:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Law 10.4 (j) unfortunately does not specify that it has to be tipping within a tackle, but the memo that mandates a red card does. Therefore he does not have to receive a red card if it goes wrong.
Ok, even if we weren't relying on the memo I assume we could still give a YC or RC for an action which is that dangerous.

I'm talking here of the photos in that article as I can't see the video.

The principle that you can be sanctioned for endangering a player from your own team has already been established, as it's a FK to just drop a player you lifted in a LO, lifting a team mate at a LO below the shorts is another FK offence.

The problem I can see with this is that it isn't a "tackle" (as defined) so probably isn't covered by the "dangerous tackle" memo .... but frankly if taking a player (whatever colour jersey he's wearing) past the horizontal and at that height isn't "dangerous play" and reckless I'm struggling to imagine what is.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Dangerous play, but with the athleticism & strength of elite players all ened well after a serious skill mis-judgment and major over rotation.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
http://www.rugbydump.com/2011/10/22...events-keegan-daniel-from-flipping-head-first

So, by definition if the beast had not managed to bring Keegan back down safely (thus dropping him behind his head) he would have had to receive a RC!

No, You cannot receive a red card for harming your on player, it is merely a technical offence which is a only covered in line out laws, I would suggest a FK if he were dropped would be fair as the issue is the same.

Yes I red carded a player for punching his own captain. :norc:

Under what law did you put in your report? none of law 10 applies and neither does the abuse of official, I don't believe unsporting conduct is listed on the send off report?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
No, You cannot receive a red card for harming your on player, it is merely a technical offence which is a only covered in line out laws, I would suggest a FK if he were dropped would be fair as the issue is the same.

Can't use LO laws, it's not a line out!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Isn't sportsmanship the way you behave to other competitors & teams, not your own?
Not to me. A player who keep blaming his team-mates for anything that goes wrong is a bad sportsman.

No sign of such a restriction in Chambers, Collins, or the OED.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes

You can, as it's the only one close enough, parity of circumstance is the same, player lifted to receive ball, not supported properly, free kick. you couldn't send him off for it though.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes

You can, as it's the only one close enough, parity of circumstance is the same, player lifted to receive ball, not supported properly, free kick. you couldn't send him off for it though.
Forgive me if I'm being thick gents, but whats wrong with just relying on the "Dangerous Play" section of the "Foul Play" law and 10.4(j) in particular?

DANGEROUS PLAY ...
10.4(j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
Sanction: Penalty kick

It's worth noting that the law states "player" not "opponent". This makes perfect sense to me; if as a player you risk putting someone in a wheelchair (or worse) through dangerous or reckless play, why should you get away with it just because he's wearing the same colour shirt as you?

I can't see the video on my work computer, but looking at the photos in the same article I can't see any way he can bring his own team mate to ground safely, as he's already gone past the horizontal, is levering on his hips and has the bloke at least 6' off the ground.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Watch the video and be amazed at the strength shown.

He lands on his feet, safely!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
This thread has completely failed to draw out the people that I thought it would. Glad to see that common sense would prevail for the majority of us.