Can you slide feet first to collect a loose ball

Jackob

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
While playing on Saturday we regained Possession of the ball in our 22 and our 9 box kicked. Because we had the wind against us he kept it low and me, the winger, chased after it. As the ball bobbled forward (in a similar manner to a grubbed kicked) my opposite number and I were pretty much neck and neck in who was getting the ball first. I slid head first to collect it and he slid feet first. I got to the ball first and rolled so his boot wouldn’t end up in my face. However he caught me quite badly on the inside of my knee cutting it.
My question is, is it legal to slide in feet first and if you make contact with the opposition on the floor while they have the ball while sliding feet first what happens?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I do not believe there is a specific law that prohibits sliding feet first - the real issue/question is whether the action was dangerous, which needs to be decided in each instance.

Jackob

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I do not believe there is a specific law that prohibits sliding feet first - the real issue/question is whether the action was dangerous, which needs to be decided in each instance.
I mean you can see the cuts on my knee from it. Have I had not looked up those would have been on my face.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I agree that your case sounds like dangerous play (can't be 100% sure because I didn't see it), but my reply stands that the offence would be dangerous play (law 9.11), but there is no law that specifically dictates that you cannot slide on the floor feet first.

Jackob

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree that your case sounds like dangerous play (can't be 100% sure because I didn't see it), but my reply stands that the offence would be dangerous play (law 9.11), but there is no law that specifically dictates that you cannot slide on the floor feet first.
Oh yeah I wasn’t disagreeing with you on the fact there is no specific law about sliding feet first being illegal. Sorry if it sounded like it

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I think you could also have suggested (to the ref, perhaps) that the player should check his boots/studs as the scratches look like they were cased by something fairly thin (and sharp?)