[Line out] Can you take a QTI after KO into touch

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
That would be it.
No I was in the stand - actually next to the Loughborough cameras - after having lunch with my mother and daughter.
Which meant I was not able to ask the AR for clarification, which I would have done had I been in my usual place on the touch line.
I thought he also called students back, but as i say it was a good lunch and it might have clouded my recall.

So are we saying only offer options if the ball goes directly into touch from the knock on / throw forward?

Just to note, the laws do not mention an option for a forward pass into touch in the 2018 version. The 2017 version did.

In the Cambridge match in the 41st minute the L player passed forward and C tried a quick throw in after the ball had gone into touch. In this case the passed ball hit the receiving L player before it went into touch so again not 'directly'.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just to note, the laws do not mention an option for a forward pass into touch in the 2018 version. The 2017 version did.

from 18.8.f it's possible to infer that the lineout option must exist. But QTI ?

Balones

Post Likes
from 18.8.f it's possible to infer that the lineout option must exist. But QTI ?

Yes. Forgot to jump about. So why mention it in one relevant section I.e knock-on, and not in the firward pass section. Messy.

Balones

Post Likes
It is now mentioned as a option under11.6 in the 2019 version. It takes up a couple of lines so this could be the source of the extra two pages that PhilE had noticed. I.e. actually making sanctions/options explicit.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is now mentioned as a option under11.6 in the 2019 version. It takes up a couple of lines so this could be the source of the extra two pages that PhilE had noticed. I.e. actually making sanctions/options explicit.

OK, I can see what they did

2018 version 1 (Jan 2018)

[LAWS]KNOCK-ON
1. A knock- on may occur anywhere in the playing area.

2. It is a knock-on when a player, in tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent, makes
contact with the ball and the ball goes forward. Sanction: Scrum[/LAWS]

2018 Version 2 (Sept 2018)
[LAWS]KNOCK-ON

2. It is a knock-on when a player, in tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent, makes
contact with the ball and the ball goes forward. Sanction : Scrum (if the ball goes into
touch, the non-offending team may opt instead for a quick-throw or lineout)
.[/LAWS]

2019 Laws - Same as 2018 v2
[LAWS]KNOCK-ON

contact with the ball and the ball goes forward. Sanction : Scrum (if the ball goes into
touch, the non-offending team may opt instead for a quick-throw or lineout)
.[/LAWS]

Gosh, they are making hard work of this