Cavalry Charge

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Penalised this on Saturday. Typical number of players running up to the S?H who tapped and passed. They were surprised - said it was just a tap and pass. looked more like the CC at the 1987 Wales v England game. Highlights here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ukm_T_nXqg - near the end. OB when was the CC outlawed?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
it is such a rare & misunderstood event, I'd likely blow it up as soon as I realised what was happening, explain to both captains, then let them take the original PK again.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
it is such a rare & misunderstood event, I'd likely blow it up as soon as I realised what was happening, explain to both captains, then let them take the original PK again.

I wouldn’t, clear offence, no ambiguity in the laws, I see no reason to give leeway for this vs any other offence. Penalty for me.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But if you blow before they commit the offence ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If they do it after I've warned "no charge" then they deserve to be penalized.

And if they line up near the goal line like a charge is coming, I tell them. Every time

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wouldn’t, clear offence, no ambiguity in the laws, I see no reason to give leeway for this vs any other offence. Penalty for me.

what would you do if you saw what was about to happen, but before it happened?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was mostly impressed with how quickly they formed the scrum and cracked on after the held up call was made

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I've never had to give a PK for it, I've twice warned players not to when I saw it coming. And once preventively whistled off before it happened in an U14 game.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

and you're quite entitled to do so. But does show a lack of empathy that might bite you later.