Change in Scrum Engagement?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I remember my Dad saying the same thing 30 years ago. How can the team that intentionally puts the ball out of play then have the right to bring it back into play?
No you don't! Before 1992 a PK to touch was treated like any other kick to touch.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
all field games have a concept of a free kick / free hit of some sort (football, hcoky, lacrosse etc) In all of them it's a moment of excitement and opportunity. In no other sport do teams regularly use the free kick to ..... kick the ball off the park.
In soccer, a free kick in your own half is not really "a moment of excitement and opportunity". That depends on field position.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I remember my Dad saying the same thing 30 years ago. How can the team that intentionally puts the ball out of play then have the right to bring it back into play?

Then your dad must have dropped through a negative reality inversion, because 30 years ago, the team that kicked the ball into touch did NOT throw the ball in, even if they kicked it out with a PK. That changed in 1992 IIRC, but OB will probably know.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
From Ian Cook, according to Ian Cook

Yep. Posted about it here back in 2008

and here

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/archive/index.php/t-7496.html?

10th post from the top

It was in reply to YOUR statement

I've never been a fan of a team being rewarded for intentionally putting the ball out of play.

Although I have to admit to pinching the idea off Rugby League in the first place,,

[LAWS]Section 13: Penalty Kick
NOTES:
Differential Penalty. In respect of misconduct at the scrum other than foul play or the use of offensive or obscene language a Referee shall award a differential penalty which differs only from a penalty kick in that a goal cannot be scored from it. The differential
penalty applies to all players, even those outside the scrum, who should be penalised where they offend. A full penalty is
awarded for an offence which occurs before the scrum is properly formed.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]Section 17: Referee Signals
Differential Penalty. Extend the arm as for an ordinary penalty then move the arm to the upright position. Perform this action twice with the whole movement being continuous and decisive.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Already sorted that. I even have a picture of it somewhere... use the same one that League uses for the differential penalty

EDIT: Here it is

IPK-signal.jpg

I use that signal when my wife and/or kids are at the game!

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
I reckon the referee should be allowed to put the ball in at the scrum...:pepper:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I reckon the referee should be allowed to put the ball in at the scrum...:pepper:
France v Wales, 1920. The referee got so fed up with the scrums that he did indeed feed in the ball himself.