Charge down goes dead.

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Apologies if this has been raised before but I cannot find any answers here or on World rugby web-site.
Situation in a game yesterday. 5 mt line out, won by defence and scrum half passes to number 10 deep in in-goal. !0 kicks but the ball is changed down by an attacking player in goal and goes dead.
Referee awards a drop out.
Right or should it have been a five Mt scrum?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
5m scrum for me.

Ball was put in-goal by the defending side and went dead.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
this should be 5m scrum

law 20.1

infringement/stoppage The ball is taken into in-goal by the defending team and made dead.
where In the scrum zone at the point closest to where the ball was made dead.
who puts in The attacking team.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If charge down had been in FoP it would be a 22. Perhaps ref saw it that way?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Or the ref just got it wrong. OP says it's deep in goal. It's a big stretch to mistake deep in goal for in field of play.

Defender
In
DeaD
Scrum.

Didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If charge down had been in FoP it would be a 22. Perhaps ref saw it that way?
Or the ref just got it wrong. OP says it's deep in goal. It's a big stretch to mistake deep in goal for in field of play.
The one problem when this happens is that everything happens very very fast. It's like pinball, the ball is kicked, ricochets all over the place and BANG .... suddenly everyone's looking at you for a decision.

It's happened to me twice, and luckily both times I had good TJs.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
There is only one decision to be made. Who put the ball in goal. That's it. It didn't matter who does what etc afterwards (usual caveats). It's all about who put it there.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There is only one decision to be made. Who put the ball in goal. That's it. It didn't matter who does what etc afterwards (usual caveats). It's all about who put it there.

Except when it's held up (in goal) :wink:.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Defender
In
DeaD
Scrum.

Didds

the kick was deep in goal

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

In its most simplistic format - yes. If ball cannons off charge down into one of his own players you have potential accidental offside or into an opponent you have potential knock on. Life isn't always simple.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In its most simplistic format - yes. If ball cannons off charge down into one of his own players you have potential accidental offside or into an opponent you have potential knock on. Life isn't always simple.

In which case the ball hasn't gone dead.

Simples.

"usual caveats apply" was included in my initial assertion. lets not over complicate matters. the OIP didn;t include anything about the ball cannoning off the charger into his own player, or the ball held up, or an alien beaming the ref up as it happened and is it the nearby TJ toi adjudge of the AR 50m away on the 22? etc etc etc . The ref in the OP just got it wrong - and 9s)hbe only had one decsion to make - who put the ball into the in-goal.

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If the ball leaves in-goal before the charge down then its a 22.

If the ball doesn't leave in-goal before the charge down then its a 5m attacking scrum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Or knocked on into in-goal and made dead. :wink::wink:

More pertinently :: What about carried in, then knocked on, then made dead, wonder what happens then?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This thread really illustrates the benefits my five forums idea would have

In short we would have only five forums

What should I do (beginners)
What should I do (grassroots)
What should I do (youth)
What did he do & was it right? (pro game)
Esoteric Law Discussion

I think the OP would have posted in Forum 1 or 2 .. and then would have received straightforward, helpful answers in that context

Instead we have addressed it as if it was in Section 5 and gone down all manner of intriguing but (I fear) confusing and irrelevant rabbit holes

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?21089-Re-organisation-idea

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
More to the point why not stick to the question asked, whatever the name of the forum?