[In-goal] Charge down goes from inside 22 across goal line and out touch in goal

Gedref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In match today red attacker charged down kick from blue defender just in front of goal line (in 22) and the ball went out of play touch-in-goal. I awarded a 22 drop out to blue. Red coach was not happy.

What should have been my decision? Many thanks.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Sounds like you got it bang on to me. What was the coach expecting - a 5m scrum I suppose.

The easiest way to remember it is "Who put the ball in-goal?" That's the general rule.

If the attackers put it in goal and the ball goes dead = 22m Drop Out.
If the defenders put it in goal and the ball goes dead = 5m scrum.

As with most general rules, there are exeptions. Eg if the attacking side knock-on into in-goal and it gets grounded, it's a defending scrum. But remember the general rule and you won't go far wrong.

In your game today, if the ball had been passed back into in-goal and the kick had been charged down while in-goal and gone dead, it would have been a 5m scrum. In your example though, the ball had effectively been kicked out if in-goal (and into the 22) and gone dead.

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Correct call...well done.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sounds like you got it bang on to me. What was the coach expecting - a 5m scrum I suppose.

The easiest way to remember it is "Who put the ball in-goal?" That's the general rule.

If the attackers put it in goal and the ball goes dead = 22m Drop Out.
If the defenders put it in goal and the ball goes dead = 5m scrum.

As with most general rules, there are exeptions. Eg if the attacking side knock-on into in-goal and it gets grounded, it's a defending scrum. But remember the general rule and you won't go far wrong.

In your game today, if the ball had been passed back into in-goal and the kick had been charged down while in-goal and gone dead, it would have been a 5m scrum. In your example though, the ball had effectively been kicked out if in-goal (and into the 22) and gone dead.

Also

If the attackers or defenders put it in goal and the ball is held up = 5m scrum attacking ball