Charge down puts oppo on side

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
It's interesting to apply it to Law 10
Because it's not intentional it wouldn't put anyone onside , and because it's not a charge down the 10m law would apply.
Yes... that's what this whole thread is about!

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Still, would like to see an example of touching or playing, which is not a charge down
Couldn’t it just be a player attempting to catch the kick but, instead of a clean catch, the ball is knocked/dropped?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Couldn’t it just be a player attempting to catch the kick but, instead of a clean catch, the ball is knocked/dropped?
Trying to catch it as it lands, agreed
What if they try and catch it as it is kicked ? It is just a case of judging intention?
Tried to catch - not a charge down
Tried to block - charge down
Stuck out an instinctive hand to deflect/slow down .. not a charge down ?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Still, would like to see an example of touching or playing, which is not a charge down
I can't find an example on YouTube, but in my playing days I've seen a number of dodgy kicks hit with a low angle of trajectory that have hit someone in front of the kicker, both teammates and opposition... I think you know it when you see it whether someone is trying to block the kick or the kicked ball has hit a player.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can't find an example on YouTube, but in my playing days I've seen a number of dodgy kicks hit with a low angle of trajectory that have hit someone in front of the kicker, both teammates and opposition... I think you know it when you see it whether someone is trying to block the kick or the kicked ball has hit a player.
That's not the quite same. 10.4.c distinguishes (deliberate) playing of the ball from charging down

This is known as the 10-metre law and still applies if the ball touches or is played by an opponent but not when the kick is charged down

So we need to find the difference

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
That's not the quite same. 10.4.c distinguishes (deliberate) playing of the ball from charging down

This is known as the 10-metre law and still applies if the ball touches or is played by an opponent but not when the kick is charged down

So we need to find the difference

:unsure:

(Sorry @number11 I feel like I'm throwing you under a bus with this post 🥺 )

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Trying to catch it as it lands, agreed
What if they try and catch it as it is kicked ? It is just a case of judging intention?
Tried to catch - not a charge down
Tried to block - charge down
Stuck out an instinctive hand to deflect/slow down .. not a charge down ?
that pretty well sums it up for me. I think the key word is "block" and the blocking action invariably commences before the kick and can involve any part of the body

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
that pretty well sums it up for me. I think the key word is "block" and the blocking action invariably commences before the kick and can involve any part of the body
I agree with this. Also, I would say charge down if someone positioned themselves for a close-up full body block and attempted a catch in the process.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree with this. Also, I would say charge down if someone positioned themselves for a close-up full body block and attempted a catch in the process.
That sounds like a knock on to me (if it went forward)'

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I guess it means that if it was an attempted CATCH (not a block) but the catch failed (but the "catcher" touched the ball) and the ball went backwards from the "catcher " theres no knock on, but the ball has been played at... so 10m law applies ?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I have seen charge downs, where the ball goes forwards off the chargers hands and yet keeps going up for a bit- and those are never called a knock on.

Just checked my 2014 printed law book, and that did not have a definition of a charge down either - just the same picture as now.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
From

"The act of a charge down is one where an opposition player not in possession of the ball approaches a kicker at close quarters and makes an attempt to block the kick."

Close quarters and some measure of intent (which of course we as refs etc etc) seem to be the criteria.