Charging into A Maul

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
Dangerous play in a ruck or maul. a. A player must not charge into a ruck or maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding onto another player in the ruck or maul.

7. Players joining a maul must:
a. Do so from an onside position.
b. Bind on to the hindmost player in the maul.

Ruck

6. A player may join alongside but not in front of the hindmost player.

Question .

Is there a need to come through the gate.
Is there any me

Can you charge onto your own player ?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-0-SNl2BGLY0yzwOFAHyfrscIgmeVZAc

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I cant access that link? no permissions etc ?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The "Gate" applies to tackles. With Rucks and Mauls, I think the wording says a player must join from "behind or alongside" the hindmost player. If he joins the Ruck / Maul in front of the hindmost player then he is offside.

And when a player does join a Ruck / Maul he must bind on before or simultaneously; ie he can't shoulder-charge into a Ruck or Maul and then bind on as an after-thought because that is dangerous. So if he shoulder charged his own team mate, I would still consider it dangerous - ie it's a Penalty Kick (PK) offence.

Last edited:

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The "Gate" applies to tackles. With Rucks and Mauls, I think the wording says a player must join from "behind or alongside" the hindmost player. If he joins the Ruck / Maul in front of the hindmost player then he is offside.

And when a player does join a Ruck / Maul he must bind on before or simultaneously; ie he can't shoulder-charge into a Ruck or Maul and then bind on as an after-thought because that is dangerous. So if he shoulder charged his own team mate, I would still consider it dangerous - ie it's a Penalty Kick (PK) offence.

I do agree that not joining a ruck/maul correctly is potentially dangerous play even if you take out your own team mate.

I know this issue has been raised briefly before but applying the same logic, could Liam Williams have been sanctioned for dangerous play when taking out Dan Biggar in the air during the World Cup? When raised previously I dismissed this but following the logic through, if you are sanctioning a player for dangerous play why should that not extend to dangerous acts against a team-mate?

Received wisdom is that no one would commit an act of foul/dangerous play on a team-mate however we do routinely tell players that despite their actions not being intentional they have, for instance, tackled an opponent high and then penalised them for dangerous play.

I realise this is a slightly acute point of view but Taff's response made me question my previous position

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If lifters at a lineout drop their own player they can be penalised for it.
If you put him up there, you are responsible for his safety.
This used to be in the law book.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If lifters at a lineout drop their own player they can be penalised for it.
If you put him up there, you are responsible for his safety.
This used to be in the law book.

ISTR a Aussie that was lifted to receive a restart/KO and his lifters dropped him and he fell on his head... ring any bells? In a RWC I think?

didds

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
ISTR a Aussie that was lifted to receive a restart/KO and his lifters dropped him and he fell on his head... ring any bells? In a RWC I think?

didds
Yes, the ball went right over his head and he overbalanced. IIRC the restart was a scrum to the team that kicked off on the presumption that - as no team were clearly in control - they were attacking/going forward.