Charging the free kick

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Had this on Saturday.
Blue pushing for consolation try on last play, put the ball in the air.
Black second row finds himself under the ball and all his teammates shout mark it, which he does in text book fashion.

Black captain asks is that it and I say yes when the ball is dead.
Black second row clearly unsure what to do so captain tells him put the ball on the floor, tap it and pass to stand off which he does, kicks out game over.

The reason skipper said this is because I'd already penalised his team for not tapping the ball correctly (never left the hands, common up here) and he didn't want a scrum.

Speaking to players afterwards most were unaware they could charge a kick now it got me thinking.
As soon as the ball is put down, can they charge?
I had in the back of my mind they could bout couldn't. Find a reference.

(e) Charging the free kick. Once they have retired the necessary distance, players of the opposing team may charge and try to prevent the kick being taken. They may charge the free kick as soon as the kicker starts to approach to kick.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
'Approach' means 'run-up' in this context. If he does not have the ball in his hand is he really approaching to kick the ball? I have never seen any type of Free kick except punt from the hand or a tap and go. Place kicks and drop-kicks are theoretical. Players put the ball down to clearly indicate they are NOT approaching to kick the ball.

Are you getting enough sleep? :chin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think it used to be the case that you could charge a FK once ball was on ground. Vague memory.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I think it used to be the case that you could charge a FK once ball was on ground. Vague memory.

Yep, it was in late 80's Just after a law change. I can't remember specifics, I just remember player's shouting "he put it down, he put it down" as a point to commence the charge.

It was a strange time as i look back. It was till enjoyable, lots more beer, lots more singing, and more mud for some reason. rarely the same kit, never same socks

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
1949[LAWS]The opposing team may come up to, but not beyond a line through the mark parallel to the goal lines, and may charge subject to the following conditions:-(1) In the case of a place kick as soon as the ball has been placed on the ground. (2) In the case of a drop kick or punt, as soon as the kicker begins his run or offers to kick, provided that if he then draws back with the ball still in his hands, they retire to the line of the mark.[/LAWS]

Older readers will remember that for a conversion, the opposition could charge as soon as the ball touched the ground. The normal arrangement therefore was for the scrumhalf to lie down holding the ball vertically, one finger on top, one underneath. When the full back ran up to kick, the scrum half would pull the lower hand away at the last moment so the ball was on the ground when kicked. This procedure was also followed if the kicker was trying to kick a goal from a Mark, which was usually the only reason for opting for a place kick..

Of course there have been many modifications since then, not least that you can no longer kick a goal from a Mark. Under current law, touching the ground is irrelevant.