Chewing gum?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Showcase rugby has an increasing number of players, Kyle Sinkler and the Aus prop, Tupou, chewing gum while playing. Is it within the remit of the referee to tell players to stop as a safety issue?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If it's a safety issue then presumably ref can stop it!
However I know a player who has a habit/condition whereby he is constantly 'chewing ' though he has nothing in his mouth. Not sure I'd be asking a player to open their mouth to prove they had nothing in there!!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is gum a safety issue? I can't see how its any different to the smaller gum shields/mouth guards that are appearing in choking risk and presumably its not a risk to any other player beyond getting caught in a backs hair do and needing a trim to fix.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Should be low risk for adult players - a normal size wad is usually too small to block the trachea if inhaled and can usually be dislodged by the Heimlich maneuver. Some evidence seems to suggest it gives a slight cognitive boost. (Was a while back now The effects of gum chewing on the body reaction time)

However, not so good for refs - tends to block up the whistle…

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Is gum a safety issue? I can't see how its any different to the smaller gum shields/mouth guards that are appearing in choking risk and presumably its not a risk to any other player beyond getting caught in a backs hair do and needing a trim to fix.

A choking risk due to a gum shield is mitigated if it is a good fit and players do not continually chew on them. I would expect to coach juniors to keep their gum shield in and not chew it and seek parental support to reinforce that message. I would find it difficult telling adults the same.

That said for chewing gum do we not have a responsibility to protect some players from themselves? Especially when enthusiasm tends towards recklessness.