Post Likes
I don't think Mods should continure to post on threads that are closed

That's it really.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm not sure why we have closed threads. If individuals want to carry them on thatshould be their call. Members of the forums can ignore any thread they wish to - closed or not.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I think that it is correct for mods to close threads from time to time, eg where the tone or the content of the thread becomes immoderate or where someone external looking at the site may reasonably conclude that the topic or the manner of discussion is unbecoming of a group of officials (and others)

Sometimes a mod have drafted a response and they will be able to post it even after another mod has closed the thread. This is a benefit (or curse) of being a mod

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Closing threads is a legitimate Mod tool , and could be done for many reasons

The thread closed today should (IMO) be removed from the site. It does RR no favours at all. Comments like that would be deleted from many newspapers, certainly that content should not be on a site by refs, for refs . But whatever , the mods make that decision not me

But mods can't have cake and eat it, closing a thread and then five hours later posting on it

We have had this discussion before but it keeps happening

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Mods don't see the thread as closed unless they look really closely at the left hand side, where the padlock isn't always obvious.
This has happened before where a mod has replied to a comment without noticing that the thread is closed.

I can guarantee the last message was posted without realising the thread was closed.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If contenst is not appropriate then yes the thread should be deleted. But that is different for closing.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Threads might be legitimately closed for many good reasons . Eg because they have become boring or repetitive, with no need to delete

On many forums thread are automatically closed after a period of inactivity .. say six months or a year .. this would be a good idea on Rugby Refs as a discussion from some time ago may well be referencing laws and guidelines that are out of date , and it can be confusing if it seem to be current (better to start a new thread)

Phil yes I am sure it was accident but you guys need to change your setting , so that mods can't post (it will be a setting somewhere) or just find a way to tell eachother when you close a thread

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Mods don't see the thread as closed unless they look really closely at the left hand side, where the padlock isn't always obvious.
This has happened before where a mod has replied to a comment without noticing that the thread is closed.

I can guarantee the last message was posted without realising the thread was closed.

Phil yes I am sure it was accident but you guys need to change your setting , so that mods can't post (it will be a setting somewhere) or just find a way to tell eachother when you close a thread

What padlock?!

I presume it is my post that has given rise to this. I have no problem with improving the notification system.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
We’ve frquently had a load of ‘padlocks’ written on here but I’ve never spotted one!
Are you having trouble with your auti correction OB...?��

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What padlock?!

That (invisible) padlock.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I didn't see that at all.

Normally there's a chat before it gets closed.

Sincere apologies for posting - I wasn't abusing my position, such as it is. I do agree with the closing.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So ten hours after it is closed for inappropriate content (I assume) mods are STILL posting on it , keeping the post at the top of the forum ...

(And If it crossed the line .. and it did .. why is it still on the forum?)

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Thanks, Phil E. I didn't even know I needed to look at those pictures. :frown:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks, Phil E. I didn't even know I needed to look at those pictures. :frown:

The padlock is the only indication a Mod has that a thread is closed...but it is almost impossible to see!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I've no idea if this is even possible but what about a backgroujd colour change for locked threads from the basic white we see, to 9say) red or pink or whatever...

its what we do for our DR systems to highlight that people are on a DR system not the live one

??

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Mods only have moderation over users and threads.
We aren't able to change anything within the system itself, how it displays or acts.

That would all be down to Robbie.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mods only have moderation over users and threads

Are mods able to delete posts that disgust them?

and/or posts which perhaps are defamatory or against the core values of the game which we referees all agree are important to preserve ? Which perhaps shouldn't be permanently published at RugbyRefs.com

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
In theory yes.

And yes, I know what you're driving at.

But we only do that after consultation - no-one acts individually.